Question New SSD not showing in BIOS, but will boot plugged into USB

Mar 8, 2019
I have a weird one here that I can't seem to find any info on the internet.

I'm trying to install a new SSD in the ASUS Q502L i5-4210U. Current drive is 1tb and SSD is 512gb. I cloned it, shrunk partitions and it showed the windows icon for 2 seconds and now it won't show in the BIOS at all. Tried all kinds of MBR and BCDEDIT fixes and still no change.

I tried a fresh install, and it will boot when its plugged into a USB enclosure, but the BIOS cannot see it when it's plugged into the SATA ports.

I plug in the old HDD and it shows up and works fine.

I plug the SSD into another computer and check it with Hard Disk Sentinel and it's all fine.

I did discover my YUMI bootable installer is Windows 10 Pro, but my key is Windows Home so I'm trying a fresh install again, but I can't imagine that's impacting the BIOS.

I've also tried turning off secure boot and turning on Launch CSM. BIOS is the latest version.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Colif

Win 11 Master
did ssd ever show in bios, was it visible before you cloned windows to it?

Can you show us a screen shot of disk management with hdd in? just curious what original partitions look like. You will need to upload screenshot to an image sharing web site and show a link here.

Mar 8, 2019
did ssd ever show in bios, was it visible before you cloned windows to it?

Can you show us a screen shot of disk management with hdd in? just curious what original partitions look like. You will need to upload screenshot to an image sharing web site and show a link here.

I'm not sure if it did or not since the first time I put it in, it showed the windows logo like it was trying to boot, then restarted and since then it hasn't shown. It will show on the USB to SATA though.

I'll get that image over shortly.

Mar 8, 2019
I'm not sure if it did or not since the first time I put it in, it showed the windows logo like it was trying to boot, then restarted and since then it hasn't shown. It will show on the USB to SATA though.

I'll get that image over shortly.
here is the link to disk management. I have it connected to another computer right now. I did discover the laptop I'm working on had this disk "offline" when I was booted into the HDD and had it connected, I turned it online, but it made no difference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ok51o11w7yrkqr/DiskManagementPartitions.png?dl=0

this is a clean windows install currently on the SSD.

Mar 8, 2019
someone suggested that it could be related to the 3.3v PWDIS "upgrade" that is part of SATA 3.3. I blocked off pins 1-3 on the SSD with tape, but this did not help.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Seems its not so rare to have drives only seen in caddy. Yours isn't exactly the same, it sees hdd, just not he ssd.

especially in Asus laptops - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/728555-laptop-doesnt-detect-hdd-or-ssd/

Wonder if bios recognises the caddy but not actually the drive in it. I wonder if it would see ssd if it was blank

it could be the flash of windows at boot was from the windows boot manager, and not the ssd itself