New SSD not showing up in BIOS

santiagobenites

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I just installed an Adata SX900 SSD, and then migrated my Windows 8.1 OS from my HDD. I rebooted, and then entered BIOS to try to set the boot order, only to find that I can't find the SSD in the BIOS setup.

I did go into the Control panel, and clicked on 'Administrative tools', 'Computer management', and 'Disk management' to find that the SDD was indeed installed and that 'the device is working properly'.

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Thanks.

santiagobenites

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

I spent more than an hour last evening migrating Windows from the HDD to the SSD, so I'd rather not have to format the SSD and do that all again if I can avoid it.

Btw, I disconnected the HDD and started my PC, and it booted from the SSD and ran with no problem at all. I would think that means that the SSD is installed correctly? The only problem is that the SSD is still not showing up in BIOS

Here is a solution that worked for someone else. Follow the instruction given in the "Solution Solved" post and let me know if that worked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289300-32-hard-drive-showing-bios

santiagobenites

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

I contacted Adata's technical service, and they advised me to check all cable connections, try all sata ports on my motherboard, and to update my BIOS (which I did). They also attached a warranty form with their email reply, and I can't blame them. I don't have time to buy a brand new drive and then have to spend all of this time trying to 'fix' it.

Funnily enough, I paid $10 for a 3 year extended warranty at the store when I purchased this drive, and I never ever buy extended warranties for anything! I did for this SDD though, after I'd read a few customer reviews about people having their drives fail.

santiagobenites

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I'd venture to say that I don't have the greatest of luck at all. A month ago, I bought my refurbished Gateway DX4380 and had to return it 2 days later as there was a problem with missing/corrupted Windows files (and I had to wait a month until they found me a replacement). A few days ago I bought a Zahlman CPU fan, and it was defective out of the box so I had to return it, and now I have purchased what is most likely a defective SDD, which I now have to return.

santiagobenites

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Update: My SSD is now fully functional, but I really can't tell you why.
As one final resort, before I made the long drive to the store to exchange what I thought was a faulty product, I decided that I'd try and format the drive using Parted Magic. I hooked up the SSD to the motherboard, then downloaded Parted Magic, and burned it to a DVD. When I opened 'This PC' in order to format the SSD from the DVD drive, I saw that not only was the SSD now showing, but it was also set as the first boot priority, which I did not do. My HDD had been the first boot device, and it was still connected as it had always been. During my previous efforts to get the SSD going, I tried every connection possibility, including using the same sata cable, same port, and same power cable as I was using for the HDD, with zero results. But now, for some reason, it has 'decided' to work, as well as assign itself to first boot priority.

JimPap

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014

Just wanted to check back with you to see if it consistently working like it should or if it goes back and forth?
Problem I have is that if you did nothing to correct the problem will the problem return.

Shadow777

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
i have the same problem, when i boot up it gives me the ''remove disk or other media press any key to restart'' message at first but it boots alright, i can use it like this but its a bit anoyying though