New SSD Old HDD - Clean Win7 Install

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hey guys!

I just got my new components and i've got it set up. Although i haven't booted yet.

I currently got a HDD with windows and some other stuff and then i got a new SSD.
So what i want to do is delete everything on the old HDD (Not taking backup - Not needed) and then installing Win7 on the SSD.

How can i do this the best possible way?

Also this is my first build that i'm configuring :)

Specs:
3570K With CM Evo Fan
Gigabyte Z77 UD3H
8GB Corsair Vengeance
MSI 7850 Power Edition
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Some Old WD 1TB HDD

bucknutty

Distinguished
First plug in the ssd and install windows like normal. Make sure you set the sata type in the bios to AHCI first. Also make sure to plug the ssd into the intel sata3 port on your mobo if your mobo has sata3 and it is an intel based board.

Once you install windows and every thing is working then shut down and plug in the old HD so now you have both plugged in. If it is the same windows install on the same computer the old HD will be offline.

Go to control panel computer managment disk managment. Right click on the old HD and click online.
At this point you can get old data off the hdd if you want.
Format it and it will be a perfectly clean ready to use drive.
At this point you can change the drive letter if you want it to be D or whatever and move you cd drive to E.

bucknutty

Distinguished
A faster idea...
Plug the ssd into sata 1
Plug the old hdd into sata 2
plug DVDrom into sata 3
make sure computer boots off sdd on sata 1
Install windows like normal
during the install when windows asks for what drive to install to hit advanced.
format the ssd
format the hdd
select the ssd to install windows to
when the windows install is done it should just work.

This will destroy all data on the old ssd with no option to save it.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Okay i got the Z77 UD3H with 2 SATA 3 ports my SSD is currently sitting in slot 0 and the HDD in slot 1.

Also, will i be able to boot from a USB? I found out my CD was some old crap which my mobo didn't support :p

And is there anything i should be aware of doing first boot?

game junky

Distinguished
It's not as scary as your would think - here's my recommendations. First, you'll want to check if there is a firmware update for your SSD. If so, following the instructions provided from the manufacturer to update your drive. While you're checking for firmware updates, you may also want to look on their forums to see if anyone has had complications using the Intel RST driver with that SSD. I believe most manufacturers have addressed the problem, but it's still worth a look because it will decrease performance and could possibly BSOD. You'll also want to confirm that your motherboard's BIOS version supports AHCI. If you don't need to keep any of the files from your HDD, then you'll want to download a wipe utility and build a bootable disk to erase your drive. There may be multiple volumes depending on how you setup your drive initially. Here's a link to kill disk - http://www.killdisk.com/?gclid=CL3zsq3PgrECFVJntgod9VawJg

Once you've got your drive wiped, disconnect it and install your new SSD. When you startup your computer, open BIOS and select AHCI for your drive configuration.

Then, install Windows 7. If you have a 64-bit capable processor, make sure you're installing Win7 x64. This will be a big performance difference because the x86 only support a little over 3 GB of RAM vs 16GB for the x64 version of Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate.

Once Windows has installed, you can reconnect your wiped HDD and begin tweaking your system. Lots of articles out there with different little settings changes to improve performance and reliability. Enjoy!

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Okay thanks for the responses gonna try when i get the Win7!

Also gonna list my specs:
3570K With CM Evo Fan
Gigabyte Z77 UD3H
8GB Corsair Vengeance
MSI 7850 Power Edition
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Some Old WD 1TB HDD

bucknutty

Distinguished
Microsoft makes a little windows 7 usb tool. It copies your windows 7 dvd, or downloaded .iso and makes you a bootable usb key. Its very easy to use.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

There are other tools to make a bootable usb key windows install around as well.

To one time boot from a usb key you have to watch the prompts during post. My board for example says hit F10 for one time boot, It flashes for like 1 second while the computer is checking the ram during the post. I hit f10 and I gives me a menu boot from DVD HD or USB.
Super easy.

Gigabyte Boot menu during post is F12.

DO NOT wipe HDD until after Windows 7 is installed ON SSD. Will allow you to daul boot (using F12) untill your satisfied the SSD is set up properly. I normally wait a couple of weeks before deleting the OS on the HDD>

DISCONNECT HDD and connect SSD.
As Others stated Verify That the Bios is set to AHCI. (If Bios was set to say IDE for HDD, this will cause a little heart Burn, but easily fixable.
Install windows, using your Thumbdrive (BuckNutty suggestion). The Boot menu using F12, should show yo your Thumbdrive. So you can set the Boot priority to SSD before starting Win 7 installation. Power on and during post Hit F12 and select boot drive (your Thumbdrive).

Once Windows 7 is installed on SSD, windows updates completed, Drivers Loaded and programs install. You can now reconnect the HDD, don't forget to set Boot prioirty to SSD. If needed you can copy your favorities Folder over to the new SSD.

Wait a week or two and if everything is good, then you can get rid of OS on HDD.

Don't FORGET, when happy with SSD, go to control panel, System & security, select backup and create an Image of your SSD. Use this for Your Future Clean Installs. - No re-install windows, No re do windows updates (except new ones), No reload drivers and programs. Need to re-install windows, use any windows 7 Installation disk, select repair, then restore using image and 10->15 Minutes "Walla Bang Thank You M___" You reboot and your system is EXACTLY as it was when you made the image.