Question New ssd, old hdd

jutas

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello I have a question.
I have os in my hdd and it is set to IDE.
I bought new ssd and I will install os in achi mode.
So my question is when my bios will be set to achi after installing os in ssd will I be able to connect hdd and delete os in hdd and use all files that is stored there ?

I question this because when you set achi and try to boot hdd it wont boot os, I know this is silly question, but answers would help to make job quicker, if it osnt possible I would make HDD achi via windows registry.

Are you doing a clean install on the SSD or cloning from the HDD?

Clean Install:
  • Switch BIOS to AHCI
  • Install Windows onto SSD
  • You'll see all the files on your old hard drive no problem when booted to the SSD. IDE/AHCI only affects booting as Windows does not have the correct drivers to boot.
Cloning:
  • Prepare your old HDD to switch to AHCI. Windows 10, Windows 7/8
  • Shutdown
  • Switch to AHCI in BIOS
  • Boot into Windows and it should load drivers for AHCI
  • Clone HDD to SSD
  • Reboot to SSD
Please note you will have ownership issues with folders on your old boot drive. Once booted to your SSD you'll need to take Ownership of the user folders on your old HDD.

jutas

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I'm doing clean install. I switched in bios to ACHI, tried to install windows, but they wont work. (stuck on motherboard screen, and can't access bios. After bios reset with jumper I can access bios.)
So I installed it on IDE in thought that I will change in regedit some numbers like in tutorials, and then restarted computer > entered bios > changed to achi > restarted and stuck on Loading Operating system... (with flashing dash).
So to be clear, it works on IDE normally, but I can't install windows in ACHI mode, and can't change it to ACHI after Installing in IDE...
Do I need any drivers, for ACHI support ? My motherboards is H61M-DS-ReV1.2. (bios is most new)

In my opinion, I'm missing something here... So please advice me.
Maybe I should use these drivers when installing windows: "Intel SATA Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)"

EDIT: Windows 7

Last edited:

jutas

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
On the other hand... Maybe I will keep it on IDE... Because still mb only supports sata II, so achi wont brin any difference I think.
It is still very amazing speed inprovement from my old (5 year) HDD :))

Last edited: