[SOLVED] New SSD plugged in - BOOTMGR is missing before migration

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I purchased a Samsung SSD to migrate my windows 10 system to the new drive. I've seen other topics having issues where users will get the "BOOTMGR is missing" after migration. But my problem is happening BEFORE I even got to the migration step. I simply shut down the computer, plugged in the cables accordingly...and when I booted it, I got the "BOOTMGR is missing" error. I then proceeded to unplug all drives that weren't the original HDD with windows on it and re-boot...yet the problem persists. I checked the bios to ensure that the HDD is the primary boot option and can confirm that it is the primary and only boot option.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm, well it isn't unheard of to have weird stuff like that happen when installing a new drive. I've had a few instances in that past that were odd like that.

Given that clearing CMOS didn't help, I would recommend using the Windows media creation tool on another computer and installing the .iso to a flash drive. You can then boot to the Windows 10 .iso on the flash drive and see if the windows installation is still on your HDD. If there is a recognized installation you can try rebuilding the files using the bootrec /rebuildbcd command in the terminal. The link below may prove useful. Hope this helps! :)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
What are ALL the drives involved here?
Please show us a screencap of the working system. If necessary, without the new SSD.

And what model is the new SSD?

First off, I apologize...I put windows 7 but the system has been updated to Windows 10 as of a week ago. Below is a list of drives we're dealing with

1. HDD (Primary Drive - WIndows 10): Western Digital WD10EZEX-22BN5A0
- This drive is currently plugged in

2. NEW SSD - SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E250B/AM
- This drive is currently NOT plugged in

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Screencap, and list of ALL the parts involved.
Primarily the motherboard.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA F2A88XM-D3H
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (x2)
Power Supply - Rosewill CAPSTONE 550-M 80 Plus Gold
Processor - I forget but I can take the cooler off the top if it's super important to know the processor.

---
Screenshot of BOOTMGR error on system boot
https://ibb.co/SDkKC9K
---
IMAGES OF SYSTEM (INSIDE)

https://ibb.co/10z793q

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I meant without the offending new drive.

I'm not sure what you mean. Let me reiterate my situation with the steps I've taken.

1. System working totally fine with JUST the WD HDD with windows 10 plugged in

2. Shut down system and disconnect power.

3. Install Blank SSD with power and data cables.

4. Reconnect Power.

5. Boot System.

6. "BOOTMGR is missing" upon system boot...system loops this message upon restart...can't get past and into windows.

7. Disconnect SSD including power and data cables. Now ONLY the original HDD with windows is installed.

8. Boot system.

9. Despite SSD being disconnected..."BOOTMGR is missing" still displays.

So I can't get into windows to take said screenshot even though the HDD which was working on it's own before hand, is the only drive installed.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
If you're still stuck trying to get into windows, I would recommend clearing CMOS on the motherboard. It may fix the error you are getting. If you're unfamiliar with this, you can either do it through the BIOS under the "load setup default" section (or something like that), or by unplugging the PC and shorting the clear CMOS pins on the motherboard.

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
If you're still stuck trying to get into windows, I would recommend clearing CMOS on the motherboard. It may fix the error you are getting. If you're unfamiliar with this, you can either do it through the BIOS under the "load setup default" section (or something like that), or by unplugging the PC and shorting the clear CMOS pins on the motherboard.

I cleared the CMOS and rebooted with optimized defaults but unfortunately the problem persists. "BOOTMGR is missing" still displays upon boot. Thank you though, it was certainly worth a shot.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hmm, well it isn't unheard of to have weird stuff like that happen when installing a new drive. I've had a few instances in that past that were odd like that.

Given that clearing CMOS didn't help, I would recommend using the Windows media creation tool on another computer and installing the .iso to a flash drive. You can then boot to the Windows 10 .iso on the flash drive and see if the windows installation is still on your HDD. If there is a recognized installation you can try rebuilding the files using the bootrec /rebuildbcd command in the terminal. The link below may prove useful. Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: tarkonix
Solution

tarkonix

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018

That did not work (or maybe it did to an extent) because I used the "Repair windows" feature in that same troubleshooting area shortly after running through the article you sent me and the repair worked. I am finally into Windows...good call throwing Windows 10 .iso on a peripheral device. I shut down the machine, reconnected the power/data cables for the SSD and this time MANUALLY CHOSE my HDD in the BIOS as my boot option on the INITIAL BOOT after repair. I just did the migration and I'm now running solely off the SSD. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
That did not work (or maybe it did to an extent) because I used the "Repair windows" feature in that same troubleshooting area shortly after running through the article you sent me and the repair worked. I am finally into Windows...good call throwing Windows 10 .iso on a peripheral device. I shut down the machine, reconnected the power/data cables for the SSD and this time MANUALLY CHOSE my HDD in the BIOS as my boot option on the INITIAL BOOT after repair. I just did the migration and I'm now running solely off the SSD. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Hey, no problem. Glad I was able to help you get back into Windows, and glad to hear the upgrade went well! Enjoy the new SSD :)

TRENDING THREADS