New SSD; Possible Motherboard/CPU incompatibilities due to age?

Griffin Rickle

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Hey all,
I recently got an SSD which I was really pumped about; I've been wanting an SSD for quite some time as it's now seen as the standard for hard drives. So I popped it into my laptop and got going with a fresh install of Linux Mint 17.2 Qiana. Things were alright, but every time I try to open up Minecraft on my laptop, it either freezes my whole system or crashes due to a fatal error with Java (something about the Swing libraries). I tried rebooting and starting Minecraft several times, all with the same result. I figured it might be something with hardware communication, so I popped it in to my desktop and it worked like a charm. My question now is what's causing my problems on my laptop? My specs are posted below; it's a pretty old PC but it runs well and gets me through the day!

Motherboard: HP 172B
CPU: Intel i7 640M 2.8GHz
Video Card: nVidia NVS 3100M
RAM: 8GB

Solution
1. According to HP specifications your pc does not fully support SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's. Full support is limited to SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Modern ssd's like your Adata SP550 are backward compatible and will work with your pc but performance is reduced to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels.

2. I'm guessing you haven't updated JAVA or there is a glitch. You can find and download updated JAVA Swing Libraries online. Here is a good list to pick from:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Java+Swing+Libraries

Griffin Rickle

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

It's an HP Elitebook 8440p. The SSD is an ADATA SP550 120GB.

1. According to HP specifications your pc does not fully support SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's. Full support is limited to SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Modern ssd's like your Adata SP550 are backward compatible and will work with your pc but performance is reduced to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels.

2. I'm guessing you haven't updated JAVA or there is a glitch. You can find and download updated JAVA Swing Libraries online. Here is a good list to pick from:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Java+Swing+Libraries

Solution

Griffin Rickle

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Sorry it took me so long to read this; I really appreciate your getting back to me! Thanks.