[SOLVED] New SSD showing SATA ports but not HDD Boot Priority ?

Aug 12, 2021
I had Asus Vivobook X510U which had 1TB HDD install, so i decided to upgrade it with an additional m.2 SATA SSD. After installing it, i can see my storage drive when i run the windows. I had cloned the windows from HDD to new SSD using ishunshare CloneGo. However, my asus boot priority is just showing Windows Boot Manager(with old hdd) and new SSD isn't showing in boot mode. However, in storage SSD is showing. I've tried disabling the 'secure boot' and disabling the 'cms'. Yet, only single booting option is showing and that' windows boot manager(old HDD). Please help, I've tried almost everything and searched entire internet for this.

Solution
At the end of the clone process, the first thing you MUST do is power OFF, physically remove the old drive, and allow the system to boot from the new drive by itself.

This is not optional, and the typical reason for a failed clone operation.

Redo it.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the...

RealBeast

Titan
Did you GPT partition the SSD?
The quickest way to find out is to run a command prompt window and type:
diskpart
list disk
If the SSD has an asterisk under the GPT column then it is GPT, if not you can use diskpart to change it to GPT, which will erase everything on the drive.

Aug 12, 2021
Did you GPT partition the SSD?
The quickest way to find out is to run a command prompt window and type:
diskpart
list disk
If the SSD has an asterisk under the GPT column the it is GPT, if not you can use diskpart to change it to GPT, which will erase everything on the drive.

I've done the steps u told. They both are GPT type only.

Little more background:
When I installed my ssd and turn on my laptop. I went to the computer management > disk management. Then, i choose "GPT" and initialized the disk. Then i cloned the windows using "I Sunhare clone go" to the new drive. After the process I restarted my laptop, pressed "F2" and went to "advance mode". Then, i tried to change the boot priority from there. But boot is only showing 2 options:
  1. Windows boot manager([old hdd name/number])
  2. Disable
And under the boot priority, There's no other option.
However, if i look at the storage under the uefi, ssd can be found, means pc can detect it, but can't boot from it.

I went onto the internet and searched everything. Tried disabling the 'secure boot', enable/disable cma, rebooted. Yet, after everything, nothing worked.

I'll send you the pics too, just to have a clear vision of the scenario

USAFRet

Titan
At the end of the clone process, the first thing you MUST do is power OFF, physically remove the old drive, and allow the system to boot from the new drive by itself.

This is not optional, and the typical reason for a failed clone operation.

Redo it.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution