new ssd wont boot

xmattymiseryx

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Samsung 850 evo -- I cloned my data using the migration tool but when I go into bios and set ssd as boot drive I get the improper boot device error. I tried switching the sata cables where the hdd was, that did nothing. any suggestions?

Solution

Hey there again, @ xmattymiseryx !

I agree that a fresh install of the OS is the best way to upgrade your primary/booting storage. This will avoid the transferring of any redundant system files from the previous installation. However, you should definitely backup all your important files from the system somewhere off-site before you proceed and make sure you have a duplicate of the data in another location (externally). This is how you will avoid any potential data loss.

Another thing...
Hey there, @xmattymiseryx!

I'd recommend you repeat the cloning procedure as it looks like something might have gone wrong there. You could also try using a different cloning software as well. Another alternative would be to run your Windows Repair/Recovery disk and try to Repair the Master Boot Record on the SSD. I'd also advise you to go into BIOS and make sure that the SATA mode for it is set in AHCI.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

xmattymiseryx

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

The Samsung data migration software did not put the boot files on my ssd. And changing to ahci did not help. I'm just going to do fresh install thank you for your help and time! Much appreciated reply

Hey there again, @ xmattymiseryx !

I agree that a fresh install of the OS is the best way to upgrade your primary/booting storage. This will avoid the transferring of any redundant system files from the previous installation. However, you should definitely backup all your important files from the system somewhere off-site before you proceed and make sure you have a duplicate of the data in another location (externally). This is how you will avoid any potential data loss.

Another thing you should keep in mind when performing a fresh install on the SSD with a secondary HDD is to unplug the secondary drive from the motherboard until the Windows installation has finished on the SSD. This is how you will avoid the common OS confusion that cause even more booting issues later on. Once you have the OS up and running from the SSD, plug back the HDD and re-format it to get rid of the old system files.

I'd also recommend following this Windows Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs for proper storage setup.

Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Miseryyyy

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016

That's actually what my problem was. The ssd was partitioned from the Samsung migration software (which didn't even clone the boot drive), and every time I installed the os it wasn't working cause the old hard drive was still plugged in. Not looking forward to ever doing that again