[SOLVED] New SSD

Jun 28, 2019
Current system set up
intel 4460
asrock h81m-hds
8 gb ram
samsung evo 849 250 gb SSD -> boot drive C: single/no partitions - I have wins 7, chrome and steamgames installed
WD Green - 1 tb 2.5 sata drive -> drive D other stuff

System is about 5 years age. I have gotten myself a new 1tb Samsung evo 860 SSD.
Seeing that wins 7 support will be discontinued in 2020, i wish to upgrade to wins 10 and at the same time migrate/clone from current 840 ssd to new 860 ssd. Reason for this is also as a preventive measure that my 840 may fail as it is already 5 years old (Smart status : healthy). I do not trust the smart status.

I plan to reset the older 840 as a slave drive for games so it should be :

C: new ssd 1 tb for OS and Games , D: WD 1 TB drive, E: old SSD games

I know that i should use the Samsung magician clone software and also read that wins 10 has issues with cloning in some threads here.

Qn1: Should i upgrade win 10 first before cloning or clone current win 7 and then upgrade win 10 in the new ssd?
Qn2: Do I need to disconnect my WD drive before I try to boot up the new SSD after cloning?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
New drive and new OS.
One at a time.

Upgrade the system to Win 10 first.
Then do the clone thing from the 840 to the 860.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD...

USAFRet

Titan
New drive and new OS.
One at a time.

Upgrade the system to Win 10 first.
Then do the clone thing from the 840 to the 860.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Jun 28, 2019
thank you for all the replies.

I have upgraded from win 7 to win10. All went well and i disconnected my secondary drive WD green and connect it with my new 860 evo. Clone the old ssd to new ssd is a breeze with samsung magician.

2 quick qns though.

1. Does magician work for clonning from a samsung to another brand?
  2. Now that I have ug to win10, is it better that i do a clean install of win10? will it work now? since my keys are win 7. Will the fresh installation go through? i heard it is better to start fresh than with a upgrade version with residual win 7 updates intact.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
thank you for all the replies.

I have upgraded from win 7 to win10. All went well and i disconnected my secondary drive WD green and connect it with my new 860 evo. Clone the old ssd to new ssd is a breeze with samsung magician.

2 quick qns though.

1. Does magician work for clonning from a samsung to another brand?
  2. Now that I have ug to win10, is it better that i do a clean install of win10? will it work now? since my keys are win 7. Will the fresh installation go through? i heard it is better to start fresh than with a upgrade version with residual win 7 updates intact.
1. No. Only TO a Samsung drive.
Macrium Reflect works just as well.

2. If your OS is fully activated, it is now a "Win 10" digital license. No more Win 7.
A clean install is preferable than to roll along with whatever was carried over from the old OS.