New SSDs are running SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW

Mes262

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
So, I just bought two PNY Optima 240gb SSDs and BOTH of them are running (more like crawling) at around 17MB/s read/ 13.5MB/s write. Boot time is slow, programs take a while to start, etc. I tried the first one and have Windows 7 installed on it, saw the problem, and then I threw the second one in there to see if the it was just a bad drive and I got the same problem.

I have no idea why they would run this slow and I don't believe any of the normal culprits such as not having Trim enabled would cause it to run this slow. AHCI was enabled from the get go. I have seen multiple forum posts about the same issue and there are no solutions. Am I just screwed and need to get a new set of drives or what? Literally any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'll update this post with the solution if you guys can help me find one.

Specs:
Case/PSU: EVGA Hadron Air w/ 500w Gold 80+ PSU
Mobo: EVGA z87 Stinger mITX
CPU: Intel i5-4690k Overclocked to 4.0ghz
RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 ACX
SSD: PNY Optima 240GB

Benchmarks and specs and what not

Edit: Formatting.

Solution
typically this type of issue happens when you do something like "clone" a hard drive onto a ssd, then of course windows has the wrong drivers for your SSD installed and you run into issues right out of the gate. I ran into this issue when i first got my Samsung Evo 840, i attempted to clone the old drive onto the new, and banged my head against a wall for 3 days trying to resolve this same issue.

turned out to be a 2 part problem. Problem 1, was my SSD was plugged into SATA port 6 on my motherboard, unfortunately that actually mattered. you see many ssds, particularly if they have an OS on them want to be plugged into SATA port 1 or 2. The other half of the problem was bad drivers and windows settings, which i figured out pretty...
typically this type of issue happens when you do something like "clone" a hard drive onto a ssd, then of course windows has the wrong drivers for your SSD installed and you run into issues right out of the gate. I ran into this issue when i first got my Samsung Evo 840, i attempted to clone the old drive onto the new, and banged my head against a wall for 3 days trying to resolve this same issue.

turned out to be a 2 part problem. Problem 1, was my SSD was plugged into SATA port 6 on my motherboard, unfortunately that actually mattered. you see many ssds, particularly if they have an OS on them want to be plugged into SATA port 1 or 2. The other half of the problem was bad drivers and windows settings, which i figured out pretty quickly (i actually solved this problem first, the SATA port solution took a day and a half of hair pulling to figure out)

I'll be honest with you, i don't recall what drivers i needed to manually change, I remember finding mention of it pretty quickly, of course it was a much more popular ssd then the one you're using, so chances are web searches will be thin, if there is a driver issue haunting you. It might be best to try a fresh install of windows.

Solution