Question New SSDs Disconnects Randomly

Jan 22, 2022
I've been having an annoying problem with adding new internal storage to my computer. Recently got a new Mushkin Source-II internal SSD with 2TBs. Went through and formatted it, which works fine. For some reason after an arbitrary amount of time passes (usually about 2 hours to almost half of a day), it disconnects and reconnects itself. Troubleshooting is almost impossible just because it is completely random when this happens.

I've tried a few things such a replacing the SATA cable, opening my tower case to see if it's somehow overheating, and tried to update the firmware of the SSD. I also bought a new SSD (HP S700 2.5 1TB) to see if it was the Mushkin's fault, and unfortunately it wasn't.
I also have an External Hard Drive and that works normally, so it seems to be just new internal storage.

It seems to be something about my computer itself and I don't know where to start. I have a feeling it might be bios but I have no idea where to start with that, and I checked the health of my SSDs using Crystal Disk is everything is what it should be at.

Here's my PC Config:
Windows 10 64-bit
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product Z170X-Gaming 7
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/04/16 19:43:18 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-770K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memeory: 16384MB RAM

Hopefully I explained my situation easily and it's understandable, if not, please ask if you need more info.

I've been having an annoying problem with adding new internal storage to my computer. Recently got a new Mushkin Source-II internal SSD with 2TBs. Went through and formatted it, which works fine. For some reason after an arbitrary amount of time passes (usually about 2 hours to almost half of a day), it disconnects and reconnects itself. Troubleshooting is almost impossible just because it is completely random when this happens.

I've tried a few things such a replacing the SATA cable, opening my tower case to see if it's somehow overheating, and tried to update the firmware of the SSD. I also bought a new SSD (HP S700 2.5 1TB) to see if it was the Mushkin's fault, and unfortunately it wasn't.
I also have an External Hard Drive and that works normally, so it seems to be just new internal storage.

It seems to be something about my computer itself and I don't know where to start. I have a feeling it might be bios but I have no idea where to start with that, and I checked the health of my SSDs using Crystal Disk is everything is what it should be at.

Here's my PC Config:
Windows 10 64-bit
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product Z170X-Gaming 7
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/04/16 19:43:18 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-770K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memeory: 16384MB RAM

Hopefully I explained my situation easily and it's understandable, if not, please ask if you need more info.
Look in the power options.
There is a setting for turning off a hdd.
See if it has any effect on your ssd.

TRENDING THREADS