Question New SSHD caused computer lag

Sep 2, 2019
A couple of days ago I ran out of storage on my SSD and purchased a new SSHD with 2 TB of storage and installed it. Ever since I installed it, all of my games have started to have major lag. I tried looking up answers and fix it but I had no luck. I was thinking about returning it so I took it out. Still, after taking it out, my computer continues to lag. Any advice or help? Do I have to hard reset my computer? It worked fantastic before I installed the SSHD and now it basically won't work at all for games :(

Here are my specs:
-AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
-Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
-Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
-Inland Professional 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD that worked fine)
-Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (New SSHD I just installed that broke my computer)
-Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8 GB AORUS 8G Video Card
-Deepcool MATREXX 70 ADD-RGB 3F ATX Mid Tower Case
-EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Sep 2, 2019
while it have ssd to cache. the hdd side is slow 5400 rpm drive
and how big is the cache?
since it new. it might still be figure out the cache.
I'm new to building computers so forgive my non-expertise, but if you're referring to my cpu cache then the specs are:

Base Clock
3.5GHz
Max Boost Clock
3.7GHz
Total L1 Cache
384KB
Total L2 Cache
2MB
Total L3 Cache
4MB

Still, I don't understand why the lag continues even after I have taken out the SSHD. Thanks!

Sep 2, 2019
Since you were running out of space and installed the new drive, did you move any of your games to the SSHD. How much free space is there on the SSD right now?
I didn't move anything, I only installed it into my pc. I deleted a lot of games so I have 150 gb of the SSD open and I had the full 2 TB on the SSHD before I removed it.

Sep 2, 2019
An SSHD slower than an SSD?
Yes, that is normal and to be expected.
Yeah, I figured that out while I was troubleshooting. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to fix the lag issue than my lack of storage. I was hoping removing the SSHD or even resetting my computer would fix the lag issues and neither have worked out so far.

Sep 2, 2019
As you have a B450 board, I'd look very hard at one of Intel's 660P drives in 1 TB size for $95-$100 or so...less expensive than even many of the standarad SATA drives of that size...but 3 times as fast in sequential reads/writes
I'll definitely look at that! However, I still need help figuring out why my computer is still lagging only during games and why the lag has followed even when I took out the new SSHD.

Sep 2, 2019
Did you install any of the AMD Sata drivers from Asus by chance? These are only needed for RAID, so if you do have it, uninstall and see if things improve.

I definitely didn't download anything myself, so unless it got auto-installed by AMD then I don't have it. I went searching through the files anyways just to check but there are so many different files in the AMD folder that I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for and I don't really understand most of it.

First thing I would try, create a new admin profile and see if the problems continue. If it is working well with the new profile, there is something that was installed on the old that is causing the problem. Sometimes it just easier to just start using the new profile in this case, if it starts again it may be easier to track down since you're aware of what's being installed and run.

A couple of days ago I ran out of storage on my SSD and purchased a new SSHD with 2 TB of storage and installed it. Ever since I installed it, all of my games have started to have major lag. I tried looking up answers and fix it but I had no luck. I was thinking about returning it so I took it out. Still, after taking it out, my computer continues to lag. Any advice or help? Do I have to hard reset my computer? It worked fantastic before I installed the SSHD and now it basically won't work at all for games :(

Here are my specs:
-AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
-Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
-Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
-Inland Professional 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD that worked fine)
-Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (New SSHD I just installed that broke my computer)
-Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8 GB AORUS 8G Video Card
-Deepcool MATREXX 70 ADD-RGB 3F ATX Mid Tower Case
-EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I just installed the same drive. If you view response times under resource monitor, they are very very high. Sometimes spiking in several thousand milleseconds. I think this has to be a false reading. I couldn't imagine a drive being that slow. On the upside my read rate does hit 120MB/s+ which is more than reasonable for a HDD.

I definitely didn't download anything myself, so unless it got auto-installed by AMD then I don't have it. I went searching through the files anyways just to check but there are so many different files in the AMD folder that I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for and I don't really understand most of it.
Best place to be sure is in the Apps page in Settings. Anything that says AMD on it.
If you aren't sure, send a list or upload a pic.

Sep 2, 2019
I just installed the same drive. If you view response times under resource monitor, they are very very high. Sometimes spiking in several thousand milleseconds. I think this has to be a false reading. I couldn't imagine a drive being that slow. On the upside my read rate does hit 120MB/s+ which is more than reasonable for a HDD.
Do your games lag out as well?

Sep 2, 2019
First thing I would try, create a new admin profile and see if the problems continue. If it is working well with the new profile, there is something that was installed on the old that is causing the problem. Sometimes it just easier to just start using the new profile in this case, if it starts again it may be easier to track down since you're aware of what's being installed and run.
I did as you said and created another administrator profile and logged into that one. I launched up one of my less taxing games and still, no luck. It's just as laggy as it is on my actual profile.

Sep 2, 2019
No not really. But I may not be running the same games or antivirus as you.

I tested city skylines, shadow of the tomb raider, coaster park, and monster hunter world.

I can run a crystal disk mark and we can compare numbers if you want.
I'll run crystal disk mark but if you can run MHW then it might not be the SSHD because I run games like Dauntless or Warframe but I also have games like Of Guards and Thieves which are really small files and only took about 5 minutes to download. All of which continue to lag.

Sep 2, 2019
That is the next thing I was going to suggest. Download and run crystaldiskmark on your SSD (since all your apps are there) and post your results.
I did 5 test counts of 1 GiB on my SSD and got:
Read [Mb/s] Write [Mb/s]
Seq Q32T1 537.0 248.8
4KiB Q8T8 234.2 231.0
4KiB Q32t1 186.7 137.9
4KiB Q1T1 33.15 59.78

Well here is mine for comparison (Crucial MX100)
disk-speed-with-avira.jpg

Yours isn't bad at all. Much faster than a hard drive. So whatever is causing your lag looks to be system related, not drive related.

I would recommend going to task manager, select more details, and sort the disk and CPU sections high to low. See if anything jumps out. Share the image if you can. I use https://postimages.org/.

Sep 2, 2019
Well here is mine for comparison (Crucial MX100)
disk-speed-with-avira.jpg

Yours isn't bad at all. Much faster than a hard drive. So whatever is causing your lag looks to be system related, not drive related.

I would recommend going to task manager, select more details, and sort the disk and CPU sections high to low. See if anything jumps out. Share the image if you can. I use https://postimages.org/.
Nothing jumps out but here are my results anyways.
https://i.postimg.cc/CMWQLkcX/CPU.png