News New Steam Deck Dock Houses Full-Sized M.2 NVMe SSDs, Does 4K at 60Hz

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Its great to see 3rd party hardware support move so quickly to fill this gap Valve left with their yet to be released steam deck dock.

Yet...I had my steam deck just about two weeks before I returned it. I wanted to love it but I still felt a bit like I was in an open beta test. I have a stoopid number of games of which only about a 1/6 th of were "playable" and only a third of those were "verified". Until Valve can get somewhere in the realm of half of all titles playable and 95% of new titles, the steam deck will remain a niche of a niche product.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Its great to see 3rd party hardware support move so quickly to fill this gap Valve left with their yet to be released steam deck dock.

Yet...I had my steam deck just about two weeks before I returned it. I wanted to love it but I still felt a bit like I was in an open beta test. I have a stoopid number of games of which only about a 1/6 th of were "playable" and only a third of those were "verified". Until Valve can get somewhere in the realm of half of all titles playable and 95% of new titles, the steam deck will remain a niche of a niche product.

I had mine in the first month after release, and then I might have agreed with you, but in the past few months the experience has improved dramatically.
Not sure when you had your Deck but of the 100 or so games I have cycled through mine I have had about 2 that would outright crash and another couple that had some controller input issue. Switching between proton GE and Steam OS I've made many, many "unsupported" games play just fine. I've been consistently impressed by the device.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"The dock also has an HDMI 2.0 port that supports up to a 4K output at 60Hz, or 2K at 120Hz. "

I believe the Steam Deck is built for 1280x800 resolution gaming, which is approximately equivalent to 720p . I think to get playable rates at those increased resolutions will require some kind of external video card as well.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I had mine in the first month after release, and then I might have agreed with you, but in the past few months the experience has improved dramatically.
Not sure when you had your Deck but of the 100 or so games I have cycled through mine I have had about 2 that would outright crash and another couple that had some controller input issue. Switching between proton GE and Steam OS I've made many, many "unsupported" games play just fine. I've been consistently impressed by the device.

I got mine in August. I only just returned it. Game crashes (even verified titles),lack of game support compared to libarary size... Still beta sorry. I am glad its better and maybe steam deck 2 will get my money. But up til now, no thank you.

TRENDING THREADS