New Steam Install Drive Question

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I currently have a 250gb SSD where I install some of my games. This drive has proven to be too small and I have ordered a 500gb replacement that will be more than big enough.

I plan on just copying the contents of the current drive to the new one, remove the old one and replace it with the new one. Will I run into any problems with Steam when I do this? I don't think I will since the drive letter shouldn't change, only the capacity, but I would like to make sure before the drive arrives in a few days.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
It works, I've done it before. Also you can just add the drive without removing the old one and then from the options in steam create a new library on it.
If you do it that way Steam lets you chose what drive to install games on and also lets you move them from one library to the other. Just in case using both drives is something you might want to do.

My steam library is getting a bit ridiculous, I have some of it on my 500GB SSD boot disk, most of it on a 1TB SSD secondary drive, and a little of it on a 2TB conventional hard drive. If either of the SSDs gets too full I move some of my older games to the 2TB drive.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
It works, I've done it before. Also you can just add the drive without removing the old one and then from the options in steam create a new library on it.
If you do it that way Steam lets you chose what drive to install games on and also lets you move them from one library to the other. Just in case using both drives is something you might want to do.

My steam library is getting a bit ridiculous, I have some of it on my 500GB SSD boot disk, most of it on a 1TB SSD secondary drive, and a little of it on a 2TB conventional hard drive. If either of the SSDs gets too full I move some of my older games to the 2TB drive.

Solution

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Thanks! Glad to hear from someone who has done it before.

I plan on using the old drive as a boot drive in my laptop. Since the drive is 5 years old, I checked the SSD's health (a Samsung 850 EVO) and it's health is still 100%. Since I won't put a lot of stress on it there, it should last a while.

USAFRet

Titan
You can even use both dries for Steam installs, and move some, directly within the Steam client.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

I know how to do that, in fact I already do. I have six games installed and only two of them are on the secondary drive, Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE. Those two games take up almost 200gb of the 250 available.

I have a bit of a modding problem...

Thanks for making sure I knew about that though :)

TRENDING THREADS