May 3, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List
All of these prices are in PLN, and not actually $

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $1139.00
CPU Cooler | Deepcool - Castle 240 RGB 69.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $489.00
Motherboard | Asus - TUF B360-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $528.08
Memory | Kingston - HyperX Fury 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory | $359.00
Video Card | ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card | $609.00
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox K500 ATX Mid Tower Case | $238.41
Operating System | Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit | $12.00
Other| TT Sync Controller TT| $117.00
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $3491.49
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 15:51 EDT-0400 |

Hi, I am planning to build a PC during the summer for light gaming and general school work. I am new to PC building; however, my father has built multiple PCs during his lifetime. I don't know what kind of power supply I should get? Currently on the inferior system of mac, and looking to get me something usable and not a nightmare. None of these parts are ordered yet, so everything is fluid, however, want to keep it in the range of under 4000pln (1000 USD). I also like the aesthetic of RGB and Asus parts in general, however, have no attachment to RGB and would replace all parts for better ones if price didn't fluctuate. Final Question: Is it worth it, or should I be looking at buying a prebuilt system and spend around the same amount, not get the buzz, and get a system that is better to a certain degree?
Thank you for helping and fixing my errors.

WildCard999

Titan
For around $1,000 I'd take Ryzen over Intel as this would allow you to get a much better GPU.

It doesn't need to be the exact same parts but something like this would game quite well at 1080P or 1440P.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($50.03 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $989.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 16:45 EDT-0400

WildCard999

Titan
Why is the original build price so expensive?
TogJNZ1.png

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

1. A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
You have that exactly backwards.

2. If you are buying new, go with the latest 9th generation intel or ryzen.

I might suggest a GTX1660ti which is considerably stronger than a RX570 and use something like a i5-9400F for a processor.
If you want a 8600K class processor, the i5-9600K will cost the same but it runs cooler and can be overclocked. You will need a z370 or Z30- based motherboard to overclock.

3. When you buy 16gb of ram, make it a 2 stick kit(2 x 8gb) so you can run in faster dual channel operation.

4. I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.

If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.

Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.

5. The psu you need is gated by the graphics you will use.
Here is a handy chart:
DO NOT buy a cheap psu.
Buy at least a tier 3 unit from a list such as this:
Seasonic is always good.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

6. A $12 copy of windows is likely a scam.

May 3, 2019
For around $1,000 I'd take Ryzen over Intel as this would allow you to get a much better GPU.

It doesn't need to be the exact same parts but something like this would game quite well at 1080P or 1440P.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($50.03 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $989.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 16:45 EDT-0400

Hi - Thank you very much for this reply. It is useful to visualise what kind of balance I need to find between each part. For the same price, I get a lot more than I thought I could get. I am indeed grateful and will be taking these suggestions to heart, with minor changes that should affect the quality or price.

May 3, 2019
Some thoughts:

1. A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
You have that exactly backwards.

2. If you are buying new, go with the latest 9th generation intel or ryzen.

I might suggest a GTX1660ti which is considerably stronger than a RX570 and use something like a i5-9400F for a processor.
If you want a 8600K class processor, the i5-9600K will cost the same but it runs cooler and can be overclocked. You will need a z370 or Z30- based motherboard to overclock.

3. When you buy 16gb of ram, make it a 2 stick kit(2 x 8gb) so you can run in faster dual channel operation.

4. I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.

If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.

Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.

5. The psu you need is gated by the graphics you will use.
Here is a handy chart:
DO NOT buy a cheap psu.
Buy at least a tier 3 unit from a list such as this:
Seasonic is always good.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

6. A $12 copy of windows is likely a scam.

1. Good to know. Thank you.
  2. It is unlikely that I will have the need to overclock however futureproofing is useful and will look at each motherboard with more care and with valid CPUs.
  3. Great to know, and will be doing that
  4. The reason storage is not on the list is because I currently own 500mb SSD somewhere in a box that I bought a while ago for my father (he no longer needs it). I don't know what type it is but before purchasing anything I will be making sure it hasn't disappeared.
  5. I will not be cheaping out on a PSU. I will likely be using this pc for a few years and will be constantly upgrading certain parts, so I will take this useful information and thank you.
  6. I own a few keys that I bought a while ago for some older members of my family in the past and have 2 left over I believe so I put down $12 because it would cost me a few minutes to 30 min searching for it.

Thank you Geofelt for the help and constructive criticism. From the replies I see, I have my budget all over the place and will be working on fixing these issues.

RustyVaper

Prominent
May 3, 2019
  2. It is unlikely that I will have the need to overclock however futureproofing is useful and will look at each motherboard with more care and with valid CPUs.
  4. The reason storage is not on the list is because I currently own 500mb SSD somewhere in a box that I bought a while ago for my father (he no longer needs it). I don't know what type it is but before purchasing anything I will be making sure it hasn't disappeared.
  5. I will not be cheaping out on a PSU. I will likely be using this pc for a few years and will be constantly upgrading certain parts, so I will take this useful information and thank you.
  6. I own a few keys that I bought a while ago for some older members of my family in the past and have 2 left over I believe so I put down $12 because it would cost me a few minutes to 30 min searching for it.
Thank you Geofelt for the help and constructive criticism. From the replies I see, I have my budget all over the place and will be working on fixing these issues.
You mean a 500GB SSD right?

Reactions: insaneturtlefish

RustyVaper

Prominent
May 3, 2019
Constantly upgrading is a bad idea. If you're using new parts you have unitl the new line of BETTER CPUs hits the market, that's when upgrade season starts.