New Surface 3 Tablet Abandons Windows RT, Rocks Intel Cherry Trail Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0E1

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Why does every article so far on Surface 3 fail to mention the keyboard is $150 extra? Yet, every picture includes it ...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I agree... I have a Surface Pro and the keyboard is absolutely required in order to make the system fully functional. Windows 8 is not capable as a 100% tablet OS... you may be able to do everything - but you're not going to want to. Add the KB/Touchpad and it goes from a frustrating mess to a competent ultra-portable machine.

Buggsbuny

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I bought a Chromebook for my niece to use for college work. I've been in the enterprise IT business for 20+ years and this was my first encounter with a Chromebook. Setting it up for her, all my skepticism or apprehension was blown away after about 30 minutes using it. This paperlight $199 laptop can do anything a normal user would need it to dot. I simply can't imagine why I would want or need a $630 (499 + 130 keyboard) Windows machine? Now that Office or Google Docs are online and basically free, the days of needing a $500+ laptop seem crazy.

Windows laptop have a niche and its more of an enterprise thing at this point. I have to imagine the future of the consumer market for Windows is basically going into the grave unless you are a die hard PC gamer.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I wish I didn't already have all the tablets/laptop I wanted. I'd charge this one by the tv and plug it in as an htpc with Bluetooth k+m. It looks like it can beat last year's i3 all in ones.
As for bugsbunnie's chromebooks, Hp's stream7 with bt k+M will set you back like $120 and is comparably capable with bonuses of windows + portability + 40% off. Yes, the low end stuff is getting cheaper.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Finally got MS to abandon Windows RT. Intel has been making Atom processors better but I'm still not a big fan of them. That being said this looks like a nice alternative to the Surface Pro.

Dammit, I literally just picked up the SP3, i5 version. I would have loved this smaller lighter one instead to replace my aging W500 (upgraded to win8 from7). Love the tablet form factor for the 2nd computer. I have to agree on the type cover, definitely not worth $130 but oh so necessary.

adnf

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Why does every article so far on Surface 3 fail to mention the keyboard is $150 extra? Yet, every picture includes it ...
I frankly think this omission on Microsoft's part is a little shady and it decreases my trust in the company.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Right direction, wrong price. Adopting the Apple pricing model is just going to drive users like me - who like Surface products - away.

Not paying $600+ - starting price - for an Atom tablet - prior to having a keyboard stuck on there.

Add a keyboard to that starting price and it's bordering on OK.... Bordering. But seriously, the Surface line is going full Apple.

Anyone know what Acer is producing two gens down from the Iconia W700? I'm likely buying whatever that is over a Microsoft product.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I bought a Chromebook for my niece to use for college work. I've been in the enterprise IT business for 20+ years and this was my first encounter with a Chromebook. Setting it up for her, all my skepticism or apprehension was blown away after about 30 minutes using it. This paperlight $199 laptop can do anything a normal user would need it to dot. I simply can't imagine why I would want or need a $630 (499 + 130 keyboard) Windows machine? Now that Office or Google Docs are online and basically free, the days of needing a $500+ laptop seem crazy.

Windows laptop have a niche and its more of an enterprise thing at this point. I have to imagine the future of the consumer market for Windows is basically going into the grave unless you are a die hard PC gamer.

I bought a chromebook just to try it out, and I am HOOKED. I love it.

As I've said numerous times: Chromebooks have a strong market potential. If you want the basics and you want them to work well, either buy a mac or buy a chromebook.

I think the choice is obvious given the price differential - and more software is becoming cloud based as well, so it's less of a loss that way too.

Though, I do find it highly presumptuous all the school boards are beginning to order parents to shell out for a $250 laptop - whatever happened to universal education?

Kadathan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
We are starting to use chromebooks at our school and I'm loving it, way easier to manage than windows machines ever turn out to be, and when they're done, they're done. That being said, I could never use one at home, they're pretty limiting... but I'm not an average user, either, and I prefer ability over mobility.

This is the type of Surface I've been wanting for years. Premium fit and finish, good connectivity, LTE, and an Atom CPU to save money.

Really? I think you're ignoring that this has a 1920 x 1280 display. Please show me another tablet that sports the exact same specs as the Surface 3 and only costs $300. Closest I can find is Asus' upcoming Chi for $450. But the Chi doesn't have AC wireless, an LTE option, or a full-size USB port and it has an older CPU. The base Surface 3 alone is easily worth $400 - $450. The $500 MSRP is a little steep. If they could include the type cover for $575 or less, it would be incredible.

i only ignored the tablet aspect and considered it as a mobile PC. while the display is attractive, the price isn't. if this tablet had a mediatek soc running android, it'd be far cheaper. heck, if it ran winRT it could still be cheaper. i woulda ignored the $499 price if i didn't know that the x7 atom costs well over $100.

The Windows tablet I waited 2 years for and then gave up waiting for. I desperately wanted anyone to make a Bay Trail tablet with 4GB ram and 128GB EMMC. Of course it finally arrives after I purchase a Surface Pro and a Galaxy Pro.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Agreed... But they started at $450, if I'm not mistaken - not $600. Now, to get a basic slower ATOM machine, you're paying $600, plus $130 for the keyboard. Good screen resolution aside, neat kickstand, whatever, this is an Apple-like premium for so-so hardware. The Surface Pro is in the general price range equivalent hardware Ultrabooks - but the Surface 3? Meh, I don't know what it's competing with, exactly, but it's bloody high priced for a machine which will be hard pressed to double as my main machine.

With a keyboard, this thing is more than double the price of the Asus T-100... That's pretty meh, good product or not.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The whole point of the surface line, at least originally, was not exactly to create the most competitive model, but to create a blueprint or a reference model to which other tablets could and should be designed against.

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I don't understand why they went back to the micro USB Charging instead of the magnetic or at least the USB Type C... That seems like a step backwards.

Actually, the Surface 3 starts at $500, not $600, though yes the keyboard cover is still unfortunately extra. But why are you complaining about the Atom being slow? These aren't the same Atoms from 5 - 10 years ago, just like Haswell isn't the same hot, power-hungry mess the Pentium 4 was. You're saying this new generation Atom is slower than a Tegra? I think not. It's slower than a mobile i3 or i5? Well, yeah. Those chips also cost nearly twice as much and run on much more power. They also require active cooling, for the most part. This is a 2W chip. It means decent performance and passive cooling. Passive cooling means a thinner body, less battery drain, and less noise.

Yes, the SP3 tag of "tablet that can replace your laptop" doesn't really apply as much here, but it is the same product line so MS keeping it does make sense. The answer to your question is to look at other computing devices out there that also sell for $500 - $700. That includes basic laptops and iPads for the most part.

A full-size laptop has better performance and more storage, but the Surface 3 is much smaller and more portable. For someone who has pretty basic computing needs, the Surface 3 could literally replace their laptop.

A Surface 3 & keyboard is only $30 more than an iPad Air 2 alone. So unless you're married to the iOS ecosystem, the Surface 3 makes an excellent alternative.

I've got a Switch 10, which is nearly identical to the T100 ( the Asus does have a slightly better CPU. ) It's a nice device, and I use it every day. But it's nowhere near these specs. The Surface 3 has a much better display, alloy chassis, newer CPU, faster wireless networking, faster RAM, and a back-lit keyboard.

Absolutely. Before the Surface came out, no one made a decent Windows tablet or slate. Since then, we've got some nice products from Acer, Asus, Dell, Lenovo, and a few others.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Ok, let's start...

First off

"Priced in Canada at $639 (vs $849 to $1,999 for the Pro 3), the new tablet has a slightly smaller screen — 10.8 inches rather than 12 — a slower processor, and less flexible kickstand — just three angles rather than unlimited positions."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/microsoft-presents-surface-3-a-cheaper-version-of-surface-pro-3-tablet-1.3016344

Is this just horribly worded, or bad reporting? $849 in the base price w/o keyboard for a Pro 3 i3 in Canada, so they listed that without the keyboard... Is $639 it's price with the keyboard? That does change things significantly, though it goes from grossly overpriced to overpriced, but not unreasonable - the range in which I've considered the Surface line all along (owner of original Surface RT and Surface Pro 3, with my wife having an original Surface Pro that I got for her).

Because it is slow - if it costs $639 without the keyboard. Again, my initial price judgement is based on the article I quoted. Personally, I consider an Atom device at $350 (Asus T-100) a great bargain and a steal, even with the relatively modest Atom performance. It has all the perks you mentioned, and the price is pretty nifty... But $639 for even the newest Atom chip being in there? And that's without a keyboard? I'm sorry, but if it's over twice the price of a T-100, it's crossing the border into ultrabook cost for an atom tablet. Overpriced.

Hey, I'm a MS/Surface guy... Just bought a Pro 3, own a Surface RT, and got my wife Pro 1. I don't own anything Apple, and I consider them *very* overpriced for what you get. The thing is - the article I posted... Is it accurate or not? Am I looking at $750 + for a Surface 3 with a keyboard cover? If so, I could be getting an iPad for several hundred less, or a two T100's for the same price range. Again, if it's the price listed above, horribly over priced - a Surface premium worthy of Apple. Granted, I know Surface products tend to be bloody spiffy, which is why I continue to support them, but that kind of pricing makes it *tough*.

Better performance, far more storage, significantly less costly... You would really need/want portability to make a $639 entry point worth it for the device to be worth it for all but a very select group of users. So, is this thing $500 starting point, or $639? At $500, I may consider it myself when they drop $100 8 months from now... At $639, good luck.

I have no use whatsoever for iOS. I'd prefer to keep pretty much Windows centric, and Surface centric if MS doesn't make it too difficult for me. $639 starting price is too high... So, again, is this the case or am I operating on a false assumption?

This is just outright false. The Acer Iconia W700 was an *excellent* product - I own one, and directly compare it to my wife's Surface Pro 1 - and it came out before the Surface Pro did. Actually, it came out roughly five months before the Surface Pro and, even after the release of the Surface Pro, it was arguably a better value with comparable hardware. The Surface Pro's presentation as "the model for what windows tablets should be" is a farce - there was at least one model for what an excellent Windows tablet could be long before it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.