New Surge Protector Sparkles When Switched On

May 23, 2019
Hi, i just built a new pc and bought a surge protector with it. Both "ground ok" and "surge protection" leds are on on it so it seems working fine. here are two problems about it.First is, when i switch the protector on from the on-off switch on it i see a little electrical spark on the switch. why would that happen ?

https://ibb.co/7C8nrfH
this on-off switch is where the spark is coming from for like less than a second when turned on. it doesn't happen all the time, i just tried it again and it didn't happen. but it happens sometimes.

second is, when i plug the power cable to psu, while the other side of the cable is plugged in the surge protector, it makes little sparkling-electrical noises before it fits in even though the psu power switch is off. if i unplug the other side from surge protector and plug psu side of the cable first, no problem.

surge protector is APC brand and a decent one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Return the junk APC and get an TripLite ISOBar 8 outlet or better. I would never use APC. Ugh

May 23, 2019
Return the junk APC and get an TripLite ISOBar 8 outlet or better. I would never use APC. Ugh
well, that was kinda only option i had around here so... from other therads i read, people don't seem to think these things i experince are any problem.

D

Deleted member 14196

LOL. A sparkling surge suppressor not a problem? Ok. Good luck. At least exchange for a new unit

Ralston18

Titan
Anything else plugged into the surge protector? Do not overload it....

And also: always make your connections from load to source: i.e., plug the cable into the PSU first, then plug the cable into the surge protector.

If the product continues to spark then it is either defective (switch or elsewhere) or possibly even counterfeit/refurbished.

Seconding @Mandark - return for a replacement.

May 23, 2019
Anything else plugged into the surge protector? Do not overload it....

And also: always make your connections from load to source: i.e., plug the cable into the PSU first, then plug the cable into the surge protector.

If the product continues to spark then it is either defective (switch or elsewhere) or possibly even counterfeit/refurbished.

Seconding @Mandark - return for a replacement.
hey, surge protector has 5 sockets. i use 3 of them for internet modem, monitor, pc. i dont think it would cause an overload.

i dont even know if you would call it a spark. when the power switch on the protector is off, and i turn it on, i can see a small blue light spark just below the switch for less than a second. and it doesn't happen everytime.it happens if you let the switch off for some time and turn it on. i saw some people experienced the same thing in exact same model(apc schneider pm5-gr). i dont know maybe im being extra about it.

i'll upload a video when i can. there is no problem on daily usage or anything else.

Ralston18

Titan
Modem, monitor, PC - probably okay and not an overload per se. Versus having an air conditioner, dormitory refrigerator, or electric heater plugged in as well.....

Most switches will spark and all the more so if "weak", cheap, or defective - no real "snap". May be corrosion on the contact surfaces.

Also, full disclosure, I have a bias against using a surge protector as a "one ring to rule them all" approach to turning on attached devices.

Just leave the surge protector on and use the individual component switches to turn them on. Modem can be left on 24/7 as is probably normal.

Then all you need to do is turn on monitor and PC. Should be okay then.

If the surge protector still sparks - then return.