New Sys. - BS Errors - Gaming?

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I just built a new system, I moved all hardware FWD from old PC, only the Processor, Mobo, and Memory are new.

At this point I really don’t think is memory related, I have swapped out each stick, and BS errors happen with either stick by their selves, or together. So far my “first” BS error always happens about 20 – 40 minutes into BF: BC2. I checked my CPU (35’C – 95’F), and GPU (69’C – 156’F)after playing BC2 after about 15 minutes and before any crashes. Usually when crashes happened after extended game play, it points to an over-heat factor, where hardware becomes unstable, but my temps are normal, so I’m kind of baffled. I have tried three different drivers, two of which ran fine in my old PC, but usually if you have video driver issues, you get a crash soon after the game launches, not 20 – 40 minutes later. It doesn’t load your system near as much, but I played BF2 for about 90 minutes with zero Blue Screens, it’s the only other game I have installed. I have MoH, which in MP uses the Frostbite engine, but have not tried it yet (not installed). I have run several HD movies with no BS errors. I ran 3DMark 11 set to extreme for an hour with no BS’s, and I let Prime 95 run for about 3 hours with no errors.
While in BC2, I get a real quick artifact effect in my graphics, then an instant BS error. I instantly reboot, and after the 1st BS error my next BS will come after only 5 – 10 minutes in BC2. Once again this acts more like something is overheating, my case has a very clean install, just the GFX card installed on the mobo, all other PCI slots are open, two 120mm intake fans, 140mm blow hole, 120mm side-panel for extra GFX card cooling, 120mm exhaust, and my CPU is liquid cooled with twin radiators mounted externally. I have run the system with BIOS default settings, and memory timings changed to G.Skills settings (8-8-8-24). By default the BIOS wants to run memory timings of 9-9-9-25, set to either setting, I get BS’s in BC2. I have powered down both of my external storage drives before attempting to play, still to remove all possible hardware out of equation.

Built on 5-25-11, and I’ve never had any BS errors while on my desktop, so far only in Bad Company 2

Sys Specs:

i5-2500K (Not OC’ed)
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - 8-8-8-24 (G.Skill’s recommended settings)
XFX Radeon 6870 factory OC
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
WD RE2 500GB
WD My Book 1TB
Enermax EGX850EWL Galaxy 850W Power Supply
Liquid cooled via Swiftech H2O-220 APEX Ultra
Samsung T260HD
Antec Dark Fleet 35 case
Win 7 Pro 64bit – Legal - (latest updates)

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I turned off turbo in the BIOS, and I'm still getting BS errors.

kajabla:

Why the heck would I OC my CPU when it runs games as fast or faster than the i7 2600K in gaming benchmarks. I could barely afford to build my new system, I'm not going to take chance on frying my processor (even though ts liquid cooled) when I'm unemployed. OC'ing it will only speed up multi-threading apps. I running BC2 with average frame rates in the mid-80's, the human eye can only see 55 - 60, anything beyond is just a waste. so all these guys running multiple GFX cards are just waiting their money, only way you need that is your playing Crysis or some other game that is really demanding.

When you have a brand new CPU its best not to OC it right off the bat, and you most certainly don't want to OC anything if you getting BS errors. When you troubleshoot problems, you need to remove everything possible from the equation, specially OC'ing

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Problem solved, thank goodness!

And thanks for someone posting that Riva Tuner and Gigabyte's Easy Tuner 6 cause problems with BC2. Thanks to the person that linked to the post.

I uninstalled ET6, and played smooth as silk for 2 hours with zero errors.