new system and very slow anyone know thanks

joeysz

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
hi guys

have just upgraded from XP 1GB ram intel P4 to intel 3960x with 64gb ram ATI 7970 4 SSD drives and windows 7 and to me its slower then before

i really dont get why when i first installed everything was great now i have installed a few things its so slow things take ages to install and ages to start dam thing should go back to my XP system lol

have checked msconfig and everything still the same

Thanks

Solution
What stripe size did you use and which model of SSD with what firmware and internal controller (e.g. SandForce 2000, JMicron, etc).

RAID'ing the SSD's may be the cause of your problem, try running them as JBOD if you need a single slab, or even use Dynamic Disks in Windows and JBOD them AFTER the OS is installed.

All SSD's hate, and will die much sooner, using anything less than 32KB. That 32KB also needs to be aligned to a 32KB boundary on each device (usually not a problem). Some SSDs hate writing less than 256KB, so you may want to go for a 1MB stripe size if you cannot, or will not, use JBOD or Windows JBOD.

joeysz

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
thanks for your reply

no the boot is ok but when it does start things take a while to load like the little icons in the taskbar dont show for a min or so

i was thinking about putting xp 64bit on here but i know alot of people says its not that good so im not sure what to do really as i do like the new system but its no good if its slow like this

when i right click on the desktop the menu takes ages to show like its doin something but i dont know what

Did you install the drivers?

Have you run a weekly defragmentation?

Is your pagefile in more than six fragments?

Is your MFT fragmented?

Check the output of a DEFRAG C: /A /V from the Command Prompt as an Administrator, you've performed a heap of disk I/O in a short period of time.

You may want to give SmartDEFRAG (from IObit) a shot, as it does the job better in about a quarter of the time.

You may want to run MSCONFIG and disable all non-Microsoft Services and Start-Up tasks, or at the very least the non essential ones. (GameBooster, also from IObit, can assist with this task).

Why such a change in systems? Why four ssd's? Are they singles or in a raid? What model are they?

Has it been slow since day 1? What other hardware is connected? Did you load latest bios for mobo and firmware for the ssds?

Do not defrag SSDs. With that much ram i would't run any pagefile at all.

If not a raid, my recommendation would be to back up data then pull all storage except the boot ssd. Install windows, patch, run WEI so windows knows you are using an ssd, run the toolbox that came with the ssd to optimize the OS.

It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds from power on to be at a snappy, fully responsive desktop.

What stripe size did you use and which model of SSD with what firmware and internal controller (e.g. SandForce 2000, JMicron, etc).

RAID'ing the SSD's may be the cause of your problem, try running them as JBOD if you need a single slab, or even use Dynamic Disks in Windows and JBOD them AFTER the OS is installed.

All SSD's hate, and will die much sooner, using anything less than 32KB. That 32KB also needs to be aligned to a 32KB boundary on each device (usually not a problem). Some SSDs hate writing less than 256KB, so you may want to go for a 1MB stripe size if you cannot, or will not, use JBOD or Windows JBOD.

Solution

joeysz

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hi

because im now getting into HD editing and the p4 was great but so slow i had to have settings so low the videos wouldnt really play good so i had to upgrade it

4 ssds they are Crucial M4 512GB sata

because one for just the OS other for my HD videos other for installed programs and others for music and videos

no they are not in raid just normal

no it was pretty fast but since i started loading on avast and drivers for my 7970 its all got abit slower

no i have not updated the bios or the ssds

Thanks