Question New system build for 10 year expectancy

Apr 9, 2019
It is time to upgrade my 11 year old system due to constant crashing. Core 2 quad Q9450 OC to 3.2. 8GB DDR2 RAM, GTX 960, SSD. This setup has served me well but it is no longer reliable or cost effective to upgrade.
To me the two main items that are important to start with are the motherboard and CPU since the rest can be upgraded over time. I am leaning to the i9 9900K. I have read many reviews where it is not worth the extra cost over the i7. However these reviewers seem to upgrade a component every month or rebuild every year so I feel we have different outlooks on what is worth/not worth it. Personally I no longer game on my computer, yes it is better than consoles but I have learned the effort to me is not worth it trying to play the stability/drivers/crashing/tweeks game more than actually enjoying the game itself. My use will be mostly video editing and general office use 90% of its life. My question is how effective will the various iseries be in 10 years from now? 6 or 8 core, hyperthreading... Will I look back and wish I spent the extra $150 to get the extra cores/threads?
So far reusing my case, PSU, GPU, SSD with new Mobo, processor, and DDR4 this build will only be about $800. It sounds like the i9 runs hot so i might end up getting a water cooler as well but not sure about the life expectancy of it.

Or is there something big coming out in the near future that will be a huge game changer? (DDR5, ice lake, i47...)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There are always "things on the horizon", and certainly could be some game changer around the bend, but hindsight being what it is.....My thoughts would be that with judicious selection of high end parts you should be fine for many years down the road.
I think that last system was certainly a win for you.

Apr 9, 2019
I think that last system was certainly a win for you.

It definitely has been and still is a decent rig (as far as I know, dont have another iSeries to compare it to)
I would keep running it but I believe the EVGA 780i Nforce motherboard is dying. I had the same idea when I built it as now, spend extra now and run it until it dies. The Mobo was a PITA in the beginning trying to find a stable configuration and bios to get the most out of it. This time around I am going to get a motherboard that is a little more proven.

My question is how effective will the various iseries be in 10 years from now? 6 or 8 core, hyperthreading... Will I look back and wish I spent the extra $150 to get the extra cores/threads?
-- snip
Or is there something big coming out in the near future that will be a huge game changer? (DDR5, ice lake, i47...)

10 years in the future we could all be wiped out by some plague, look at some 10 year CPUs and how they perform in current systems that may be a decent guess as to how current CPUs will do in 10 years. For a basic use system, even a current i5 should be fine since people can run HD video and work on documents on Core 2 Duo systems today.

Since you are looking at a 10 year build I would be a lot more worried about things that will be out in 5 years than in the next few months.

Spend for a mid range system now, replace it in 5 years. New parts, new warranty, new tech.

Reactions: TJ Hooker