New System Build Freezing

jodpel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I have most of my parts for my new system build...
i7 860
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Mushkin 4GB kit (2X2) 7-7-6-18 PC12800 #996601
Zalman CNPS9700 cooler
Saitek USB Keyboard
Logitek USB gaming mouse

Old parts...
EVGA NVidia 8400 GS (ordered a ATI Radeon HD 5870 will be here December 1st)
1TB Seagate 5400 RPM SATA drive
DL DVD Burner
Antec case

The CMOS is set with everything pretty much on auto. The system will run anything in text. It gets through the first two stages of loading Windows 7 x64 Ultimate just fine. Once it gets to the graphical screen that says "starting windows" with the swirling logo, it freezes. It does this every time. If I boot to a hiren's boot disk to test things, it freezes in any graphical application, but will run all day in anything text based. I ran several memory tests on the system and it never fails one.

The video card is borrowed. Could this be the problem? I have obtained another card I borrowed from another system. I will try it today. I've never seen one of my builds do this before. The last time I had a system get to a certain spot in a windows install and freeze every time, it was bad RAM. I'm not sure that is the case this time.

jodpel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Thank you. I'm sure that is the problem. I did a LOT of research before buying these components, but I guess I missed that. I tried a different video card and it made no difference. A friend is bringing me two sticks out of his i7 860 just to make sure.

I knew the RAM had higher voltage requirements, but I thought that was just if you want to overclock it to the rated 7-7-6-18 timings. I was running it at 1333 9-9-9 just to get my system up and running.