[SOLVED] New System build - help stop the voices in my head

Nov 6, 2018
Overall use:

1) Photo work
2) Gaming (minor OC expected)
3) General use

This is my third build, but first in a number of years. i tend to overbuild, at last in hopes of getting some future proofing, with an eye on value.

I am debating, more than struggling over, the following and how the system overall fits together:

Motherboard - is this too basic, is it worth going Z390? While i am not inclined to go high end, the 370 boards seem to be disappearing, being replaced by 390s, with the only real difference being on-board wifi and USB 3.1, if i have read it right.

Video Card - GeForce 1070 Ti - some discounts showing up this week has made me consider moving off the 1060 and moving to the 1070 Ti. i do not tend to upgrade mid cycle. I don't know if there is value
here, as much as reasonableness.

Monitors are maybes. The BenQ dipped briefly, and is probably a good answer without going 4k. The Acer is a recommendation on a value basis.

Any observations appreciated.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
Monitor: BenQ - SW2700PT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor

Solution
You're going to run in to problems with your RAM/Cooler/Case combo. I'll break down the numbers and go from there.

RAM: 44mm height
Cooler: 165mm height with 32mm height allowance for RAM at stock settings. Outside fan will over hang RAM slots.
Case: CPU cooler max height 72mm

So in order to use that RAM and that cooler, you'll need to adjust the outside fan up by 12mm to account for the RAM height. That adds 12mm to the overall height of the cooler. Now the NH-D15 is coming in at 77mm, but your case only has 72mm clearance.

Easiest solution is to just use a different cooler. the Noctua NH-D15S would be a better fit with that configuration if you want to go with Noctua. If you're open to other air coolers and have your heart set on...
You're going to run in to problems with your RAM/Cooler/Case combo. I'll break down the numbers and go from there.

RAM: 44mm height
Cooler: 165mm height with 32mm height allowance for RAM at stock settings. Outside fan will over hang RAM slots.
Case: CPU cooler max height 72mm

So in order to use that RAM and that cooler, you'll need to adjust the outside fan up by 12mm to account for the RAM height. That adds 12mm to the overall height of the cooler. Now the NH-D15 is coming in at 77mm, but your case only has 72mm clearance.

Easiest solution is to just use a different cooler. the Noctua NH-D15S would be a better fit with that configuration if you want to go with Noctua. If you're open to other air coolers and have your heart set on a dual fan cooler, I'd look at Cryorig R1 Universal. It won't overhang your RAM slots so RAM height wont be a factor.

As for the CPU of your build, I'd suggest looking at the review Toms just did of the i7-9700K and see if the current gen is worth it to you with your use case. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-cpu,5876.html

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
much appreciated for the numbers. Partpicker did not call out these conflicts. I am not married to the case or cooler so will address it by changing one or the other, with your recommendations in mind.

I will also take a look at the article.

thanks

Not too surprised on Partpicker. It will call out serious problems like lack of cooler and the like, but I've noticed it doesn't ever check for RAM/cooler height restrictions. Always double check the numbers when you start playing with big air coolers.

Good luck with the build!

ohenryy

Honorable
Why not a Ryzen, its way more future proof as we know and way better for productivity.
Also with the money you save you get yourself a 2070 which is faster than the 1070.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BVYZr6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BVYZr6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($141.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($498.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $950.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 20:20 EST-0500

Nov 6, 2018

hmmm....for the photography stuff Intel has been the community favorite, but will take a look.

the 390 motherboards had to come out do to the wattage of the 9x cpu from intel. the wattage is higher and the vrm on the x370 cant supply the wattage needed for those newer cpu. on your gpu the 1070/1070 ti have more cuda cores over the 1060 cards. if the 1070ti cards onsale are only a little more then then 1060 then you got a good deal.