Question New System Build Problems/Motherboard will not POST or No Signal issue

Sep 15, 2019
Hello, all!

I'm new to this forum and building computers in general but I've become more interested in building lately and have successfully built a couple desktops recently. I'm having a problem with the current one, though and I would appreciate any insight you guys might be able to offer!

Here are the system specs:

• Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
  • Kingston 100 GB SSD
  • Samsung 120 GB SSD
  • XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU
  • Sama S35-BK Mid-tower Case
  • AMD B0044FHFJQ CPU Cooler
  • Seasonic S12III 650W PSU
  • 16GB Micron DDR3 1866mhz (4GBx4) RAM

(If there are any other pertinent specs I forgot, please let me know.)

¤ So the problem that I'm having is that I have no signal on screen when turning the PC on. No BIOS screen, No BSOD, no image at all. The GPU power LED lights up, the case power LED lights up, and both the case and processor fans are active but I have no video signal. One SSD has the previous machine that it was installed in's operating system and data on it (I planned to format when installing windows again) and the second SSD holds game data only.

What I've tried so far:
  • This is the second Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P I've attempted to install in this case. The first one I bought used off of ebay and received the same result I've described so I assumed (after trying the things I'll list next) that the motherboard was faulty. There is a new GA-970A-DS3P installed in the system now with the same non-signal result.
  • I've tried disconnecting all case connectors (USB 3.0, USB, power button, reset, etc.) and jumping the power to the board and I receive the same result. No signal, but board and accessories power on.
  • I've tried installing another known good GPU (Nvidia GT730) to see if I can receive a signal, with the same non-signal result.
  • I've tried installing another known good AMD AM3 processor to see if the processor may have been the issue but receive the same result.
  • I've tried disconnecting all SSD's and SATA devices with the same result.
  • I've tried using the DVI port on the back of the Nvidia GPU to get a signal with the same result.
  • I've tried using different connectors from the PSU to power those same parts on the board to no avail also.
  • I've tried jumping the CMOS reset on the previous board to no avail also and replacing the CMOS battery. There is currently no jumper on the CMOS reset pins.

So, I'm not really sure whether I have a no signal issue from the GPU( although the Radeon GPU is a tested working GPU as it worked in my old system and the nvidia card, also known working provides the same result) or if have a Non-POST issue with the motherboard. Since I just installed a new GA-970A-DS3P it seems unlikely to me that the motherboard is at fault.

I'm fresh out of ideas though! Sorry to burden you guys as I'm just a noob starting out but any ideas you can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sep 15, 2019
Oh, one other thing I figured I should mention;
The case I bought from newegg(although supposed to be new) came with marks where a PSU was previously installed and the hardware missing. Luckily I had enough laying around to mount the board but I was resistant to the idea that just a case could cause an issue like this but is that a likely scenario(short to ground somewhere in the case causing issues with the motherboard)? After all, it seems it was a return.

I'm going to try installing the system in a good known case when I get home.

Thanks again!

Sep 15, 2019
I'll try swapping the cooler when I get home as I have a spare! Thanks!
The other cooler I had utilized a case fan(3 pin type) as the cooler for the heatsink but the same result occured when I installed it.

I also removed the motherboard from the case, installed the GPU and 4 pin AMD cooler and bench tested it with the same result so it's not the case.

Question: If the 4 pin cooler wasnt connected at all and the motherboard didnt detect a fan RPM, would the motherboard not even allow the BIOS to be displayed?

Sep 15, 2019
Wow, OK. So I had the idea to remove the RAM from my other computer and see if the RAM was the issue and it was! Installing windows right now.

I'm still having some odd issues with the BIOS freezing when I select F12 to enter it but I'm going to see if those clear up once the fresh copy is installed and SSD is formatted.

Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for your reply! I realized the error is likely my own fault. On cnet's website it lists RAM compatibility for 1866 mhz but it fails to mention that you need to be using an AM3+ processor(found that out on gigabyte's website, duly noted).

As for why I'm using dated parts, some people are less monetarily blessed than others.😁 I use this PC to play just one game and it ran pretty good with the old hardware. Just figured I might be able yo get a little more life out of it by spending <$100 and I'm sure I will. Thanks again though!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply! I realized the error is likely my own fault. On cnet's website it lists RAM compatibility for 1866 mhz but it fails to mention that you need to be using an AM3+ processor(found that out on gigabyte's website, duly noted).

As for why I'm using dated parts, some people are less monetarily blessed than others.😁 I use this PC to play just one game and it ran pretty good with the old hardware. Just figured I might be able yo get a little more life out of it by spending <$100 and I'm sure I will. Thanks again though!
My experience has been that an X6 will only run the DIMMs at 1333 when you have 4 DIMMs.

Reactions: Bigtony11111111
Sep 15, 2019
My experience has been that an X6 will only run the DIMMs at 1333 when you have 4 DIMMs.
Interesting! I'll have to sell these on ebay as I'm not planning on buying another processor. The 1090t is really dated but it does what I need it to do. I wound up getting 2x8GB 1600mhz sticks and they seem to be working well. As for the speed in mhz measured, I'm not sure...