[SOLVED] New system build with 2 m,2 Gen4 Drives?

Mar 2, 2020
I am planning on building a new system on the b550 chipset platform.

The MSI carbon motherboard has 2 x m.2 slots. Soon samsung is suppose to be dropping Gen4 PCIE m.2 ssd drives. I have never built a system with m.2 so I am not sure how they configure. If I buy a gen4 500gb drive as boot OS drive and buy a 1tb gen4 drive for the second slot as a storage drive will I benefit from the speeds of that pcie 4 or will the second drive be throttle down cause of lanes? and would it be best to just get a regular gen 3 drive for the second slot due to this?

Solution
in typical real use you won´t see differences between gen 3 and gen 4.

The two M.2 slots are different, one is depending on the CPU which is PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 and the other M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0, which is provided by the B550 chipset

So the second drive should be gen3, because of pricing and speed you can use with this board. A gen 4 drive in the second slot would be a waste of money
in typical real use you won´t see differences between gen 3 and gen 4.

The two M.2 slots are different, one is depending on the CPU which is PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 and the other M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0, which is provided by the B550 chipset

So the second drive should be gen3, because of pricing and speed you can use with this board. A gen 4 drive in the second slot would be a waste of money

Reactions: schwebs
Solution

TRENDING THREADS