MSI B360 Gaming Plus Motherboard
Team T-Force Dark 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red Black
Cooler Master GeminII M5 LED Low Profile CPU Cooler
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB X 2
Corsair AX760 Platinum Modular 760W Power Supply
Intel Core i7 8700 Processor
1TB Seagate HDD
SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB Edition Case Matte Black

My problem is that when all of the components are hooked up, i turn it on and the light for the power switch comes on and then when i press the button, nothing happens. I rang the suppiler and they said that all the items are compatible and should work. I have now had it in the shop for over a week and still no results. Any help would be appreciated. The build is for gaming.

Why do you have 2 1060's? They don't support SLI, so you won't be getting any additional performance. Remove the one in the bottom slot, including the power connectors from it.

Also, I hope you have the front panel connectors plugged in, without that the power button on the case doesn't work, and also make sure that the CPU cooler's fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not on any other header.

May 21, 2019
Why do you have 2 1060's? They don't support SLI, so you won't be getting any additional performance. Remove the one in the bottom slot, including the power connectors from it.

Also, I hope you have the front panel connectors plugged in, without that the power button on the case doesn't work, and also make sure that the CPU cooler's fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not on any other header.
Have got the front panel connected and have turned it on and off

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, 2 1060s makes no sense whatsoever.

also, if building new, there's no reason to go with an 8700. you can get a 9700 for a similar price...
Actually, no. As far as I can tell, the i7-9700 is not even available for purchase yet. I doubt it will be perceptibly better either, as the boost clocks will apparenty be similar. You'll also be trading 6-cores with 12-threads for 8-cores with 8-threads, which might perform slightly better in some scenarios, but slightly worse in others. Overall, it sounds like both CPUs should offer a very similar level of gaming performance though.

popatim

Titan
You forget that it is recommended, again, to turn off hyperthreading to mitigate the latest round of 'vulnerabilities'.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-disable-hyper-threading-spectre-attack,39333.html

Also, those 12 threads isn't full speed. Sometimes, depending on the application, you can get a really nice boost 40%, a nice boost. 10-20%, sometimes nothing, and sometimes it actually hurts performance (not often though). The more you load the real cores, the less efficient hyperthreading is because all it does is fill gaps in the process with pieces of another process to make it look like you have more cores.

By the way, AMD is immune to these. Cheers.

You forget that it is recommended, again, to turn off hyperthreading to mitigate the latest round of 'vulnerabilities'.
Perhaps worth considering for systems requiring very high levels of security, but likely unnecessary for most. I doubt that many will actually disable SMT on their processors, and as far as I can tell, these kinds of attacks have not been particularly widespread, and can be patched as they are discovered, albeit with a small hit to performance. Even according to the article you linked, Intel does not actually recommend disabling Hyperthreading, but only suggests it as an option in certain scenarios.

And in any case, none of this is particularly relevant since the OP already owns an i7-8700, along with the other hardware listed in their post. They were seeking help with why their system wouldn't boot, not looking for build advice. And the i7-9700 isn't even being sold yet, unless you are referring to the 9700K, which costs about $100 more than an 8700. The 8700 is a fine enough processor within its price range.

popatim

Titan
If momentarily shorting the PWR_ON pins on the motherboard FP header doesn't turn on the PSU, and the PSU switch is on (1 position) then it may be that the motherboard is shorting and the PSU is doing it's job to protect the system.

Remove the components and breadboard the build on a suitable work surface.