New System Build...

beliskner_thor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Okay, in a couple of weeks, if time and money permit, i may be building a system. I just wanted some external advice to double check my parts choices.

Here we go...

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X4 620
ADX620WFGIBOX

MOBO:
ASUS M4A785-M

MEM:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

PSU:
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R 450W ATX12V

CASE:
Black Steel Micro ATX Tower
APEX TX-381-C

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB
WD1600AAJS

This is meant to be a budget build, so i would like to keep the components under 500 dollars before shipping. For now I am relying on the integrated graphics of the mobo and I will buy a gfx card at a later date.

If you have any amendments to parts please send a newegg link to it, and a short explanation of why you think that part is better. Thanks for your time and help in advance.

beliskner_thor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
oh forgot to mention what i will be using it for, for the time being i will just be using it for basic stuff like internet and movies, but in the near future i will be buying something along the lines of a gts 250 in order to play games such as mw2.

Well if u had DDR2 idling around then an AM2+/DDR2 build is fine but since afresh: $390 AR for an AM3/DDR3 build
ukku.jpg

beliskner_thor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Slight change in the components, after some of the earlier comments about ddr3 i looked at the prices and decided it would be good to change to ddr3 since its about the same price. Then i was trolling around and decided that for the extra 50 bucks i could get a processor that is better and more overclockable.

Here is the new linup:

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE
HDZ940XCGIBOX

MOBO:
ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM

MEM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

PSU:
Rosewill Green Series 530W
RG530-2

CASE:
Black Steel Micro ATX Tower
APEX TX-381-C

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB
WD800AAJS

Again, i would like to stay around the same price point and would prefer parts from newegg.

I do plan on overclocking this, probably cpu to 3.4ghz and ram to 1600mhz.

I know the 80 GB hdd is small, but i will be re-using drives from an old computer for extra storage.

3 things i would like opinions on:
1. component compatibility/ possible bottlenecks
2. should i look at an afterstock cooler or will the stock one be okay
3. will this psu be powerful enough for overclocking after an added graphics card? I think it is according to PSU calculators/ toms reviews, but i always want reassurance.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I would NOT get a rosewill psu!!! It's a crappy generic kind. Stick with the FSP you had or go with a corsair psu. They are well worth the $$ and won't fry your components!

beliskner_thor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
okay back to the old psu. also, would a 32 bit and 64 bit os run on the same computer (they would be on different hdds) and if they would, would they both be able to access data on a third hdd?

The X4 940BE being an AM2+ socket Deneb has its IMC or Integrated Memory Controller onboard chip able to talk only to DDR2. The AM3 motherboard you selected only has DIMM slots to be populated by DDR3 RAM hence the 940BE and the mobo selected is incompatible

TRENDING THREADS