[SOLVED] New system, can get into Windows but can't access BIOS

Amedinno

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
Hey, I upgraded from a 4690K Gigabyte Z97 to 3700X MSI B550 and I cant get into the BIOS even though everything works fine.

Tried the Windows Advanced Boot force UEFI, spamming delete also doesn't work.

No formatting has been done to my SSDs.

I was wondering if I did something wrong or did I have to format Windows because of going from Intel to AMD?

Solution
Thank you for the suggestion but I figured it out and I’m so mad and happy at the same time. It was because I was using the DP port on my GPU and apparently the BIOS didnt like that? Thank you so much for the help, please quote this as a reply and I will reward your reply as the solution.
Dang. Thanks for the headsup! I'm about to upgrade my system soon. My current GPU allows me to do DP off the bat. But I'll for sure use HDMI first hahaha!

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I believe Win10 comes with its own bootloader called Windows Boot Manager or something -- I swear it's been ages since I had to reconfigure my boot priority.

Try taking out ALL the drives so you can force the PC to boot into BIOS/UEFI and disable fastboot or connect the drive again, set it to lowest boot priority.

But tbh, it might be fastboot that's not letting you into BIOS. You got a fast computer, deal with it kinda thing lol

Amedinno

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
I believe Win10 comes with its own bootloader called Windows Boot Manager or something -- I swear it's been ages since I had to reconfigure my boot priority.

Try taking out ALL the drives so you can force the PC to boot into BIOS/UEFI and disable fastboot or connect the drive again, set it to lowest boot priority.

But tbh, it might be fastboot that's not letting you into BIOS. You got a fast computer, deal with it kinda thing lol

I tried to find the Boot Manager but couldn’t and then manually took my drives out. Sooo u know how you should get a “No boot device found” error, I dont get anything, black screen.

Fast boot wasn’t it either but new ideas were great. I’m still trying to fix it.

Reactions: EridanusSV

Amedinno

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
And I assume that the latest BIOS is flashed correct? If not:
What's your exact mobo model? Does it have a BIOS Flash utility?
MSI B550 Gaming Plus, I flashed it but I don’t know if I did it right. After changing my pc to Safe Boot it got stuck on a black screen. Since I can’t access my BIOS I can’t even do a clean install.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
It could be a dead motherboard.

It could be a failed BIOS Flash which means as of right now, the motherboard is now up to date to support 3700X.

* A failed BIOS flash could also brick your board.

It could also be that your RAM is somehow not supported. (Could be fixed with the BIOS update as well).

Amedinno

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
It could be a dead motherboard.

It could be a failed BIOS Flash which means as of right now, the motherboard is now up to date to support 3700X.

* A failed BIOS flash could also brick your board.

It could also be that your RAM is somehow not supported. (Could be fixed with the BIOS update as well).

RAM was in the QVL list, I mean if a board literally no BIOS it could mean it’s dead. I was so hyped for this too :/ Could it be anything else? If not, I’m returning it for a new one

Amedinno

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
If problem persists with the replacement, just refund the board and pick up one of these X570's which is $10-$20 more than your current board.
View:https://imgur.com/7dlyOhe

Thank you for the suggestion but I figured it out and I’m so mad and happy at the same time. It was because I was using the DP port on my GPU and apparently the BIOS didnt like that? Thank you so much for the help, please quote this as a reply and I will reward your reply as the solution.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Dang. Thanks for the headsup! I'm about to upgrade my system soon. My current GPU allows me to do DP off the bat. But I'll for sure use HDMI first hahaha!

Solution