received all new components today (12/26) here's what I got;

1. MOBO - Asus p5b deluxe
2. Ram Super Talent - dII 800 2 x 1g'
3. CPU c2 duo e6600 2.4 g 4 meg retail
4. Scythe infinity cooler
5. PSU ocz 700w
6. BFG 8800 gts
7. AS 5 paste

OK, I built this outside of case, on a big phone book, so no shorting.

I shorted the pwr switch and it booted fine, so I began following core duo oc guide instructions published here at Toms.

Went great, slowly worked my way up and booted as high as 3.7 but locked during mem test (the memory testing program, not the self test at boot) so I dropped back to about 3.5 and re-ran mem test and it seemed to be going fine so I left it running for about 45 mins.

Upon return system had shut down and now will not boot. The fans spin up momentarily then stop.

I tried re-setting cmos. I've taken out the battery and am going to let it sit all night before trying again.

Ideas?

PS I've built many systems but this is my first with PCIe and core duo and I have no other parts to switch out, so I cannot isolate problem and I feel pretty crappy about not knowing what to RMA. I'd assume MOBO, but I sure would like some expert advice. Thanks.

I have tried booting with 1 stick of RAM. I examined CPU and no burn marks.

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Try the other stick.

If you kept your old PC try it's power supply.

When you OC'd was the PCIe locked or did that overclock as well?

Did you run the voltage up on the Memory, CPU, Graphics?

Look at the capacitors on the mobo. Are any burnt? Their tops should be flat. Sometimes they pop and the top expands to a dome shape or peels open. Most have and X on the top so they peel open and dont explode.

Hope this helps.

Tried old PCI vid card - no help
tested PSU with old 20 hole PSU testor - fires up, light green.

I'm prolly gonna have to guess it's either CPU or MOBO

Yes, there was some overvolting in my OC testing 2.15 for RAM, and 2.4 for CPU - as suggested in OC guide. S hould have been well within safety limits?

Small chance the HSF may have popped up in one corner at some point, but grease looked smooth on cpu heatspreader, and sink - no visible damage to CPU.

So, RMA MOBO, or CPU? In all my years I've never had an INTEL chip not work. So I'm thinking MOBO.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

Yes, there was some overvolting in my OC testing 2.15 for RAM, and 2.4 for CPU - as suggested in OC guide. S hould have been well within safety limits?

Small chance the HSF may have popped up in one corner at some point, but grease looked smooth on cpu heatspreader, and sink - no visible damage to CPU.

So, RMA MOBO, or CPU? In all my years I've never had an INTEL chip not work. So I'm thinking MOBO.

I would say before you waste the 2 weeks on the RMA process, go to a local repair shop and ask them if you can use some of their test parts. They might let you do it for free if it's one of the smaller chains.

I would say before you waste the 2 weeks on the RMA process, go to a local repair shop and ask them if you can use some of their test parts. They might let you do it for free if it's one of the smaller chains.

Good point. I RMAed the MOBO already. I powered it up with nothing in it, no ram, cpu anything and it started smoking immediately. I may still take the CPU to a shop for a test however. That's a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS