[SOLVED] New system fails to Post

Sep 3, 2019
Hello!

I have the following problem and would greatly appreciate your help.

I have a new system I assembled from parts:
  • Gigabyte X399 Designare EX (TR4, AMD X399, ATX)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 4-Kit
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11
After assembling the system, turned it on and it doesn't post. The CPU led is turned red and the MoBo Display shows the code "D0" (CPU error). No signal to the display. All fans work (system, CPU, GPU)

What I did so far:
- I updated the BIOS with the newest version, as instructed here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-110
* however, after updating the BIOS, the USB light stopped flashing, but the system did not restart as the manual said it should.
  • I rechecked the CPU has no damage and is seated properly
  • Reset CMOS
  • I took out 3 RAM sticks, left the one in position 2 (as manual says) and also tried different ones
  • I took the GPU and all fans apart from CPU out
When I boot, I get the same error code and red CPU LED.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Andrei

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, For flashing the BIOS, have you followed:
1.Download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin.
Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system and it must be a USB 2.0 flash drive.
3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
1.Download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin.
Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system and it must be a USB 2.0 flash drive.

Solution
Sep 3, 2019

Thanks alexoiu!

Yes! exactly the steps from the manual.
The USB BIOS LED flashes for a while, then stops.

I also tried both the latest version F12, and the earliest supported one (F10)

Sep 3, 2019
Thank you, alexoiu!

In the meantime, I've switched the MoBo with this one:
Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME TR4 ATX

It is supposed to work with Threadripper 2nd generation without any BIOS update. Yet I still get the same red CPU LED and "D0" error code.

Could it be that the CPU was defective out of the box?

Thank you!

Andrei