New system, going from Ti4200 to 9800 Pro

Paul

Splendid

Always have had NVidia cards in my systems, shortly will be putting
together a new system intended for gaming mostly, with an ABit IC7-G
Max3 motherboard, a Northwood P-4 3.2ghz CPU, an Audigy 2 sound card,
and a Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Anything to take into consideration
when using the Radeon card? What are the newest drivers? Are there any
programs to use to help take advantage of the Radeon card. I don't
really get into overclocking much, more into stability. From what I've
read, the 9800 Pro seems to be the best bang for the buck, even compared
to NVidia's 9600XT.

Hawk

Well, I hope you enjoy tweaking your video card settings and getting
help from the video card vendor more than you do actually playing your
games. Beware of paper specs.

hawk

Paul wrote:
> Always have had NVidia cards in my systems, shortly will be putting
> together a new system intended for gaming mostly, with an ABit IC7-G
> Max3 motherboard, a Northwood P-4 3.2ghz CPU, an Audigy 2 sound card,
> and a Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Anything to take into consideration
> when using the Radeon card? What are the newest drivers? Are there any
> programs to use to help take advantage of the Radeon card. I don't
> really get into overclocking much, more into stability. From what I've
> read, the 9800 Pro seems to be the best bang for the buck, even compared
> to NVidia's 9600XT.

If you're building a new system with a fresh Windows XP install, there is
nothing much to it. Let XP install it's stock driver for the Radeon cards
and then install the latest ATI driver right over top of it by double
clicking the executable. The latest driver can be found at the ATI site and
if you're going for stability and you are not really into overclocking or
fiddling that much, then go with the standard driver. Make sure that you
use a dedicated power connector for your video card, not one that is shared
with a hard drive or other piece of equipement. It's not that it requires a
whole lot of power or is unstable, it's just that some power supplies are
rather anemic and can cause problems.

Enjoy.

JK

"Paul" <tbirdman@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> Always have had NVidia cards in my systems, shortly will be putting
> together a new system intended for gaming mostly, with an ABit IC7-G
> Max3 motherboard, a Northwood P-4 3.2ghz CPU, an Audigy 2 sound card,
> and a Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Anything to take into consideration
> when using the Radeon card? What are the newest drivers? Are there any
> programs to use to help take advantage of the Radeon card. I don't
> really get into overclocking much, more into stability. From what I've
> read, the 9800 Pro seems to be the best bang for the buck, even compared
> to NVidia's 9600XT.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:58:46 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:

||Well, I hope you enjoy tweaking your video card settings and getting
||help from the video card vendor more than you do actually playing your
||games. Beware of paper specs.
||hawk

Don't listen to this fool.

Pluvious