[SOLVED] New System Guide

frj1001

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hi, So I was going to build a new rig based on 9th generation intel architecture and i7 9700k, but decided to wait for the 10th generation as its just around the corner.
But recently, now I am really in a fix as to which brand to choose between amd and intel. On the gpu side I will be going with nvidia 3000 series, but for the cpu and architecture, I am confused as amd has great processors these days with fast and efficient 7nm architecture.

I have never used amd processors before and my only experience with amd was with a gpu that gave up on me in 3 months in 2014.
So I never thought about amd again as I still believe it has reliability issues even today with nvidia cards.
But it is really shining these days in terms of performance and architecture.

So what I do? should I upgrade to 10 th gen intel or wait for 4000 series ryzen later this year. I will be using my pc for gaming as well as other applications.....

Solution
Yeah exactly, but is ryzen reliable, futureproof and compatible with nvidia? I've recently heard somewhere that ryzen processors and nvidia cards were causing bsods, specifically with dx12 and also that nvidia cards seem to have problems with pcie4.0 lanes.
Ryzen had initial issues with implementation of drivers for Ryzen 2 and new PCIe implementation. But by the time you get Ryzen 4000 the drivers will be more stable and matured(besides few weeks from its initial launch) than they are now(drivers are already stable) and I highly recommend holding off GPU purchase any time soon even if you have to wait a year(most probably few months and not a year) and get NVIDIA RTX 3000 series which most probably has PCIe4(don't see why it...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Availability of those new Intel and AMD products are going to be limited due to the 'human malware' having put a wrench in production.

I personally don't have much confidence in Intel right now while they are still launching more 14nm refreshes.
Starting from 6th gen Skylake, they've only been getting hotter while being a bit faster.

As for whether to wait or not, I honestly don't know at the moment.
I guess if you went and got either a 9900K or Ryzen 3700X, you'd be set for at least a few years...
Something new comes out literally every year and it'll either be a minor or major improvement over the previous year. No avoiding it really.

I don't have much expectations for 10th gen Intel CPUs but Ryzen 4000 series is what I am waiting for. The Laptop R9 4900HS is putting out insane performance output. That being laptop part I don't know how crazy performance we can expect from desktop processor.

frj1001

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I don't have much expectations for 10th gen Intel CPUs but Ryzen 4000 series is what I am waiting for. The Laptop R9 4900HS is putting out insane performance output. That being laptop part I don't know how crazy performance we can expect from desktop processor.
Yeah exactly, but is ryzen reliable, futureproof and compatible with nvidia? I've recently heard somewhere that ryzen processors and nvidia cards were causing bsods, specifically with dx12 and also that nvidia cards seem to have problems with pcie4.0 lanes.

Ryzen had initial issues with implementation of drivers for Ryzen 2 and new PCIe implementation. But by the time you get Ryzen 4000 the drivers will be more stable and matured(besides few weeks from its initial launch) than they are now(drivers are already stable) and I highly recommend holding off GPU purchase any time soon even if you have to wait a year(most probably few months and not a year) and get NVIDIA RTX 3000 series which most probably has PCIe4(don't see why it won't have PCIe4 and still pack PCIe3).

Solution

frj1001

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Ryzen had initial issues with implementation of drivers for Ryzen 2 and new PCIe implementation. But by the time you get Ryzen 4000 the drivers will be more stable and matured(besides few weeks from its initial launch) than they are now(drivers are already stable) and I highly recommend holding off GPU purchase any time soon even if you have to wait a year(most probably few months and not a year) and get NVIDIA RTX 3000 series which most probably has PCIe4(don't see why it won't have PCIe4 and still pack PCIe3).
Yes I would be going with rtx 3000 series