Growler

I bought a new 3GHz system with 1GB PC4200 DDR2 ram with Win XP MCE.
It replaces a 2GHZ system with 768MB DDR ram with Win XP Home Edition.
Both are Dell computers.

Even with the 1GB ram the hard drive is loud and seems to be searching
for stuff whether at idle (indexing?) or when using some basic programs
that ordinarily would not cause this.

I would have thought with faster processing and more, faster ram I
would have less of this. Not more.

Can someone explain?

What was the explanation offered by Dell tech support?

steve

"Growler" <smaye@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new 3GHz system with 1GB PC4200 DDR2 ram with Win XP MCE.
> It replaces a 2GHZ system with 768MB DDR ram with Win XP Home Edition.
> Both are Dell computers.
>
> Even with the 1GB ram the hard drive is loud and seems to be searching
> for stuff whether at idle (indexing?) or when using some basic programs
> that ordinarily would not cause this.
>
> I would have thought with faster processing and more, faster ram I
> would have less of this. Not more.
>
> Can someone explain?

Duh! I never thought to ask them. I guess my experience in the past
was that I got more reliable help in places like this. I will give
them a try.

A noisy hard drive in a brand new Dell -- my first stop would be Dell tech
support.
My guess would be that you got one of the small % of new computers with
problems right out of the box.

steve