New system just booted up with no os graphics card not registered

scotlandcraft 557

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I just booted up my new built pc everything is fine but on the motherboard Explorer there is nothing saying my r9 280x is connected please help and I can give more details if you need them. Thanks

xfirestormxx

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
I don't have an R9 280X so correct me if I'm wrong but, the card should have 2x 8 pin connectors or similar on the top. Upon googling your power supply, you should also have these cables either plugged into your power supply, or, as it's modular, laying around somewhere.

If you haven't already, you will need to connect these cables to the graphics card.
Corsair's website lists the CX600M as having 2 PCI-Connectors.

Edit: Also ensure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date.

xfirestormxx

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
Looked on MSI's website, on 4.3 and 4.4 they improved VGA compatibility.
Download this version for your BIOS (http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7850v49.zip)

Inside the zip file, there's a folder called '7850v49'. Open the folder, and extract the contents to a spare USB. (Make sure it's formatted as FAT32!)

1 - Turn off computer
2 - Turn on computer, keep hitting the 'DEL' key to enter BIOS
3 - Once you've entered BIOS, navigate to the M Flash tab
4 - Select the "Select one file to update BIOS and ME." option
5 - Select the 'E7860IMS.490' file (if required)
6 - Wait for the new BIOS to flash and the computer to reboot
7 - Install the graphics card and test
8 - Report back results

xfirestormxx

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
Hm. If you have any other graphics cards that require PCI-e power (no integrated graphics), or can borrow a card that has such requirements, try them and see if they work. It should rule out any faulty cables or PSU.
Also, please share the rest of your specifications. If you have a power hungry computer, it could be that the PSU hasn't got enough power to supply your whole system AND the graphics, but as integrated uses less power, it's capable of doing so.

Edit: Some organized steps:
1 - Share specs so I can determine if you have sufficient power for the card
2 - If 1 is all OK, try a different card that requires, or doesn't require (both would be good for accurate results) PCI-E cables.

Right now I have a list of 3 possibilities as causes:
- Not enough power to run the system
- Graphics card is bad
- PSU is bad.

Judging by your symptoms explained so far, I'm leaning towards not enough power/graphics is bad.

scotlandcraft 557

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I have a pentium g3258 that is 53 w under full load( not as bad as it sounds), msi r9280x 250w, Kingston hyper x fury 8gb, 1 to wd blue hard drive, corsair cx600m psu, and a few fans. It may me tricky to find another gpu I can borrow to test but I will look. Thanks for your help.

xfirestormxx

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
Hmm. Definitely enough power, which may mean that your graphics card is faulty. IIRC, your graphics should still run even without the PCI-E power, but whenever you put load on your graphics card that exceeds the ~75w that the pci-e slot supplies, it will cause a system shutdown.

1 last thing to try though, hook your graphics card up into your computer BUT LEAVE the PCI-E connectors from the power supply OUT. This will mean that if there's any dodgy wiring in the pci-e cables that could be potentially shorting and therefore preventing your computer to boot, you will know about it. If it still refuses to boot, you could try getting a power measurement on the cables. If they are shorting then chances are they've fried your GPU, but best to test the card without the cables in first, and then getting a reading on the cables. If it boots without the cables, replace the PSU. If it doesn't, replace the GPU and test the cables.

(Sorry for the long paragraphs lol)