New system, MAJOR graphics slowdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hey,

Well, I've tried all the ideas posted and it did seem to have an effect. All problems stopped after I switched the AGP to 1X/2X in the BIOS, and I also set the virtual memory option at 400MB. Then the other day while playing against 4 bots in Q3 it did it again. Here's the kicker, since the sound was down low *I heard the system fans slow down while the graphics lag was happening.* This sounds like the system may be starved for power under heavy graphics load, but I just put in an approved 300W power supply.

Do you all think I need to go to 400W ?? The system wouldn't even start up with a 250W, and that's with everything disconnected, only RAM and CPU in.

Anubis

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That slowing fan stuff that you mentioned is awfully suspicious and it seems we are running out of tricks.

Try www.geforcefaq.com. Look for stuff on "games stutter" and power supplies. I think there is a post on specific requirements for Geforce cards, amount of amperage required for both the 5 and 3.3 volt lines from the PSU. You probably want to exhaust all "tips" before replacing the PSU, though.

G

This is the power supply that I have:

Power Man FSP300-60GT 300W

Before I put this in, the system wouldn't even start up.

Now I need to find out the specs of the PSU that I have.
Any hints where I could find some info ??

Thanks,

Anubis

G

Ah !

Nevermind that last request...It's on the PSU.. (Jeez)
And it looks to be low on the amps for the 3.3V line. The FAQ recommends 20A, and mine supplies 14A.

Anyone have a nice sparkle 400W PSU for sale cheap?? ;)

Anubis

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
20 amps! I never realized the requirement for the Geforce was so high but it makes sense because I had heard mention of it needing up to 60 watts (and 3.3 volts * 20 amps = 66 watts). Although I never really believed that number either.

Before you spend anymore money you might want to get some more feedback on the power requirements for the Geforce.

Also, if it were me, if given the prospect on spending $100 on a 400 watt powersupply I might take a hard look at just putting that money toward a Geforce 2 GTS which consumes less power.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm. My L&C PSU only supplies 14A also on the 3.3 leg and my Geforce256 SDR works fine even when overclocked to 150/210. My system is, however, modestly equipped. I only have 1 DIMM and and a PCI modem to draw additional power on the 3.3 volt line. I think my ISA sound card draws from the 5 volt line. Also not all PSUs are the same. I think the ratings are at full load on all lines. It is possible that more power could be drawn on one line if others aren't at full load.

I don't know what to tell you but I still think that fan slowdown you speak of is suspicious.

G

Yea, that sounds good... The only problem with going with another card is the fact that I probably won't be able to get a refund on the GeForce256.. I've had it just a little over a month..

Anubis

G

Ok, I checked with the place that I got the card.. They prefer to replace, but it may be possible to upgrade to the GTS card..(or maybe get a refund) The problem is, it's $219.. That's about $100 more that I paid for the 256..

So, do you think it's better to blow the $100 on the PSU, or blow it on the GTS?

I know the system in general is a power hog, since it wouldn't even boot with a 250W PSU, I wonder if it would still have the same problems with the GTS?

Also, do you know where I could find out about the power needs of the GTS?

Anubis

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is a tough one. As you see from one of my previous posts it is possible to get a Geforce card working with a PSU no more capable than the one you have.

A literal slow down of devices is definitely a power related problem but it may not be your only problem. The source of your game "slow-down" problems maybe something else entirely.

I would hate to have you spend money on the wrong thing. On the otherhand, you probably don't feel comfortable with that power supply at this time.

A Geforce 2 MX would be a compromise but it would reduce power consumption by quite a bit and it would cost about the same (or even less) as a Geforce DDR.

Do you feel you have exhausted all possible solutions? Were there any tips left to try at www.geforcefaq.com?

G

One thing that I am thinking is that the system in general is a power hog, so when the GeForce needs that little bit extra, it's just not there..

The system slow down only happens in games, so I have assumed that the video card is somehow faulty, or that it is not getting something that it needs.
I have had the system on for hours playing Mp3's, watching DVD's, etc., but only games seem to cause this problem.

How does the MX stack up against the 256 ? I like the performance, and I guess I'd get a MONGO power supply if it would just run right...

I have read through most of the FAQ, and have tried many ideas. The biggest clue that I have found is in the 20A recommendation for the 3.3V line.. I am going to keep searching, but I am also in the process of trying to get the place that I got the original GeForce card to cut me a deal on the GTS card. After an online chat with support, they think that the card is faulty. I'm not sure it's that, but it's something.. Do you know how much less power the GeForce2 GTS uses compared to the 256? I could only find the FAQ for the 256 online, but I've been a little busy lately.

Thanks,

Anubis

G

Here's another idea:

I think I saw that you've got your resolution at 1280x1024. Try lowering that to 1024x768 or lower. And if your color's at 32 bits, try lowering it to 16 bits (which should be almost as good). Also, make sure your refresh rate is set somewhere between 75 and 85 HZ.
Doing all three of those things could significantly reduce the work you're making your system do, which should improve performance. Maybe the card's just being overworked...

I hope this helps! Good luck!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This may have been asked before (too many replies to wade thru) but what is your resource level before U run UR games ??? what is your virtual memory settings... thse can drasticaly effect running any games...

Try having at least 88% sys respoures free and virtual ,memory about 3 time the amount of memory U have (min & max if U can do it) also what version of Direct X have U got, if running v8, try v7... U caould also reinstall UR graphics drivers...

Were cookin' now... whoops...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh a thought... what temperature is your system running at when U have had it on for a while... eg an hour or so (reboot and check in the BIOS), I know Athlon processors run hotter that Intels...

I could be wrong but it could be an idea to check...

Were cookin' now... whoops...

G

The system runs cool for as long as I've had it on.. (6-8 hours). I have the virtual memory set at 400 for both (I saw that on a 3d tweak page).

Regarding the other post, I tried turning down the resolution and depth, but GeForce cards actually run worse on the lower settings, so the problem is more pronounced.

I think I'm going for the 400W PSU.. I'll let you all know if that takes care of the problem or not.

Thanks,

Anubis

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I found these at Paul's Unofficial KT7 FAQ.

http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm

They sound like they could apply to any mobo with the VIA chipset.

Why does my KT7 freeze every 5 seconds?
Try the following:

Set "PCI Delay Transitions" to "Disable" under Advanced Chipset in the BIOS
Set "Memory hole at 15-16mb - enabled in BIOS
This may also be due to sharing of hardware IRQ's by a pair of PCI cards. See the question below "My system hangs with my network card. Why?" on how to troubleshoot this one (even if you don't have a network card!).

Another user reports that ACPI appeared to be the cause of this. He discovered that his video card was sharing an IRQ with the ACPI driver and that this IRQ was listed in Power Management/Wake-up Events/IRQs Activity Monitoring. He suggested disabling this, and if this doesn't help, disabling ACPI (see misc section)

This problem has also been linked to the power management software supplied with HP scanners.

Another user reported upgrading from VIA 4in1 driver v4.24 to v4.25a solved this problem.

G

'Annubis'

Rather than blowing $100 on a 400 watt p.s., you may want to check out the Enermax EG351--it can be had for between $60-70. It is a 330W p.s. that provides 30 amps peak/max on 3.3+ v., which should be more than sufficient for your system. It is a two fan design (92 mm. above the MoBo; 80 mm. rear).

Your system isn't maxed out in respect of expansion cards, and those are the principle users of the 3.3 'line'. I doubt that you need a 400W p.s.--besides, some high quality 300W supplies blow away 400Wers (don't be fooled by the numbers--always check the specs. The most important are the 3.3+ and 12+ output loads).

Final note: the '351' has a reasonably good reputation as a high quality, but relatively inexpensive p.s. PC Power & Cooling provides a good write-up on p.s. technology, and a good guide for determining the total load a particular system needs.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Now, that's some really useful information! (These Geforce cards are a nuisance).

Do you have any good links on power supplies and cases? Mine are fine for my present system. However, I sure would like to be able to give good recommendations to friends and not rely on "good luck".

I hope it fixes RealAnnubis' problem.

Thank you.

G

phsstpok--

AnandTech did a real good comparative review of 10 power supplies; however, it is somewhat dated now.

ArsTechnica has an excellent forum for checking out a whole variety of issues, particularly in respect of cooling (and, I suspect, cases). I have used a variety of other sites; unfortunately, I bought both my power supply and case (a Lian Li PC-60 all-aluminum case--real nice, but pricy) a while back and don't remember which specific sites I used.

Google.com is an excellent search site to use for finding a variety of information: once you know a model number or whatever, use that as a search term and begin exploring. This is how I find reviews, and often hard-to-find information (I'm a librarian, so I'm used to locating information). It does take time, however.

One word of advice: if possible, always buy a case w/out a power supply if at all possible. If there is one things where vendors almost always skimp, it's the power supply. A large number of lock-ups, slowdowns, etc., are often due to an inadequate and/or cheap power supply. As with anything regarding computers, its almost always better to choose your own components.

A general rule of thumb is: determine the wattage (amps * volts) that each component uses (and I mean everything --cards, RAM, CPU, fans, etc.); add the figures up; and then tack-on a 20-30% fudge factor. Although quality power supplies can actually operate at up to approx. 160% rated capacity for short durations, to stress a power supply continually will wear it out (well duh!). Providing a fudge factor generally eliminates the power supply as the cause of problems; allows leeway for systems expansion; and provides an invaluable peace-of-mind ;)

A good general reference book to pick-up is 'PC Hardware in a Nutshell'. The authors are somewhat opinionated; the information is 6-8 months out of date; but it is well-written and not-too-lengthy (500 p.). It can be picked-up via Amazon.com for approx. $22 US.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
bahngeist, (That's a hard name to remember but I guess mine isn't any easier) Thanks for the info. I wish I had read that AnandTech article befor I bought a case. I still might have made the same purchase. I was on the tighest budget and the case and AMD approved power supply was only $42 from www.nimbuspc.com. Prior to reading that article I didn't know how to tell one 300w PSU from another. I also didn't know about a Geforce requiring 20A on the 3.3 volt line. I will in the future.

Anyway, my PSU has been working great for 3 months even with the supposed troublesome Geforce Card but only time will tell.

Thanks for your help. I'm archiving both of your messages right now.

Phsstpok