[SOLVED] New system means new key?

DeathFlows

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
Hello, i will be receiving my new 3700x cpu and a new mobo to go along with it. My question is what do i need to do in order to get this new system up and running, I have all the other parts since im just switching out my current mobo and my intel i5 6600k. Will i need to purchase a new windows 10 key or is there some way i can avoid making another purchase.

Solution
If you currently have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license, you can still upgrade for free, for now, to Windows 10. If you have a valid Windows 10 license, you can attach THAT to your Microsoft account (Create one if you don't already have one) which makes the license into a digital entitlement that you move to any single machine you want to use it on. It will make the previous installation, if there is one, de-activated and no longer valid, but even if you have an OEM license you can move it to a new machine so long as you attach it to a MS account.

If you currently have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license, you can still upgrade for free, for now, to Windows 10. If you have a valid Windows 10 license, you can attach THAT to your Microsoft account (Create one if you don't already have one) which makes the license into a digital entitlement that you move to any single machine you want to use it on. It will make the previous installation, if there is one, de-activated and no longer valid, but even if you have an OEM license you can move it to a new machine so long as you attach it to a MS account.

Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

I did exactly this last year after upgrading to my 2700X from my 1090T and was told nope. My Win10 key was tied to my old hardware and could not migrate it to the new system. I hope others here have more luck than I.

DeathFlows

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014

great last question, should i clean wipe my hdd and my ssd or i don't have to bother with doing that? Also do i also have to create a windows 10 media tool on a flash drive?

I did exactly this last year after upgrading to my 2700X from my 1090T and was told nope. My Win10 key was tied to my old hardware and could not migrate it to the new system. I hope others here have more luck than I.

That's either BS or you got shafted. Probably you didn't have it tied to a bonafide MS account OR you had a Windows license that wasn't legitimate to begin with or was Blacklisted due to being from among a series of OEM keys that were stolen and then sold. Many reasons why, but it isn't accurate to say that this process is not factual and legit when literally MILLIONS of people have done it and I've done it myself on at least fifty systems already. Plus add about another fifty or so at least from other mods I know who have done it and another four or five hundred from various TH members.

If your license is legit to start with and you attach it to an MS account and then VERIFY that it IS attached to your MS account BEFORE you wipe the old system and reinstall on the new one and try to activate, then you should not have any issues. And what MS support might TELL you, by email or phone, is not ever in line with the reality of MS policy because most of those level one agents are nothing more than script card monkeys that have no ability to check changes to MS policy when they occur and are often still using scripts from three years prior to whenever you contact them.

Yes, you need to create installation media on a flash drive.

Make sure you've attached your MS account with your license, FIRST, and then you can follow this guide for the installation. I appologize that parts of the tutorial are screwed up, but it's a forum software issue and I don't seem to be able to fix what it has broken at the moment so I've included another link to an offsite tutorial if you are unable to use mine.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

DeathFlows

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
Yes, you need to create installation media on a flash drive.

Make sure you've attached your MS account with your license, FIRST, and then you can follow this guide for the installation. I appologize that parts of the tutorial are screwed up, but it's a forum software issue and I don't seem to be able to fix what it has broken at the moment so I've included another link to an offsite tutorial if you are unable to use mine.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
yea installing it to my usb atm, thanks for the help and info i'm good to go :)

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
That's either BS or you got shafted. Probably you didn't have it tied to a bonafide MS account OR you had a Windows license that wasn't legitimate to begin with or was Blacklisted due to being from among a series of OEM keys that were stolen and then sold. Many reasons why, but it isn't accurate to say that this process is not factual and legit when literally MILLIONS of people have done it and I've done it myself on at least fifty systems already. Plus add about another fifty or so at least from other mods I know who have done it and another four or five hundred from various TH members.

If your license is legit to start with and you attach it to an MS account and then VERIFY that it IS attached to your MS account BEFORE you wipe the old system and reinstall on the new one and try to activate, then you should not have any issues. And what MS support might TELL you, by email or phone, is not ever in line with the reality of MS policy because most of those level one agents are nothing more than script card monkeys that have no ability to check changes to MS policy when they occur and are often still using scripts from three years prior to whenever you contact them.

Darkbreeze,

Not once did I say it wasn't factual. I simply stated what happened to me. My account WAS legit AND my Key tied to a legit account. Perhaps I got shafted as you say. After the new build I tried to activate it online & it was declined. "Perhaps" I called the incorrect MS # and the person that picked up couldn't be bothered to either help me himself or transfer me to the correct dept. but I was unable to transfer my key to my new system so I then just "gave" the old system to my daughter and it activated just fine after a reinstall. As I said, I hope others here have better luck than I did in regards to this & judging by the last paragraph of your post, it would appear that many have & for them , I'm genuinely happy for them.

Regards,

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The front line MS techs are frequently out of the loop. I assisted a member here last year who had that happen as well.

Upon calling MS, he was told in no uncertain terms that a Windows 10 license can never ever be transferred to different hardware. Not possible, no way no how.
He comes here looking for assistance.

It wasn't until I showed him the relevant links and instructions direct from Microsoft, and it got elevated to the next level supervisor, did they realize their mistake.

Reactions: Mrgr74