New System, Monitor says no signal

mersonix

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Hi,

I'm helping a friend of mine build a computer. Unfortunately he lives far away and I can't actually touch the computer and look and see what is wrong with it. I've been trying to help over video chat but i'm at a loss here. Maybe you can help.

System Specs (for him):

Intel Core 2 Duo e8600 @ 3.33ghz (stock)
XFX Nvidia Gtx 285 Graphics Card
EVGA 780I SLI Motherboard
Corsair PC2-6400 (ddr2-800mhz) RAM
Average DVD burner
640gb seagate hard drive.

Here's what has happened as far as I know. He installed everything in the computer (correctly). The motherboard emits one beep when turned on, but at first he got a message saying voltage to his RAM was off. From there, he looked around online and deducted that he should boot with one RAM module rather than 2 (because of voltage). He is able to boot with the 1 (2gb) RAM module and the motherboard emits one short beep. (successful boot). The power wires are all connected correctly. When he conects his motherboard to his 19'' Asus Monitor the monitor says No signal. We plugged the monitor into his laptop and verified that the monitor works. The cables are connected properly and the system boots properly (as far as we can tell without visual clues). All fans (heatsink, gpu fan, case fans) etc are spinning and the disk drive works. The motherboard is showing all of the proper lights.

EDIT: We just plugged the system into his HD TV and got the same no signal error.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mersonix

mersonix

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Well, he just reseated the video card and it is different this time. He's also connecting the speakers...

I'll post a response to this in a few minutes. if you have other ideas please submit.

mersonix

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
The monitor still displays no signal. Based on the motherboard status lights it shows FF (which means boot). By that, and that the computer ALSO doesn't work when connected to a TV, the graphics card is DOA (right?) We know it's not the monitor, by booting successfully doesn't that prove it's not the CPU,RAM, or Mobo and therefore must be the GPU?

Please respond,

we're semi-lost.

mersonix

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Card is seated all the way, although it was not initially. But he says he has seated and re-seated around 7 times and the last 2 times it clicked and was in more secure and he had to use the tab to remove it. The RAM should be fine based on the FF LED, right? FF = Fully Functional

The eVGA nVidia motherboards use a two digit hex display for error codes. They will start at "--" on powerup and scroll through to "7F" when the POST successfully completes, then pause and go to "FF" as the OS starts to load.

Sounds like you have a dead video card. It passes the POST because the POST only tests the interface, not the inner workings of the video card.

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Check to see if he has an old video card, maybe from a different computer, that he can test. Unless it's AGP, the motherboard supports PCIe1 and PCI, so have him try it.