[SOLVED] new system multiple woes from memory not running at full speed to general performance!

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
My mom was previously using an older xeon workstation I believe was a socket771 xseon e5400 type things with 8 cores .. it had been crashing so I decided to build her a new pc out of my own pocket and checked a few benchmark sites, they say the 4 core Ryzen 3 is supposed to be way faster than this over decade old workstation so I set about ordering the following....

Ryzen 3 2nd gen 3200g.
1xHyperX FURY 8GB (1x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM (so I can upgrade later if needed)
MSI A320M-A PRO MAX motherboard.

she is running Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

1. Memory speed
by default this board detected the memory as 2400, I uncheck auto and select 3200, I noticed that firefox tabs kept crashing and terminal when running apt-get update threw out a segfault, I went into bios and noticed it 2 memory profile selections (from the memory?) with timings, I chose the 3200 one it failed to even boot this way, so after resetting cmos I let it keep its detected 2400 and it seems pretty stable!

Q:not really sure what todo here, should I just leave it at 2400? is it a board compatibility issue ? should I send the ram back to get some higher quality memory that will happily run at 3200 instead ?

2.facebookgames
several simple games seem to be working fine but one huge game supercity in firefox just sits on almost 3.6gb ram usage 300% cpu usage and does nothing, in chrome it loads but gives abysmal performance, not even 1 fps, I am being yelled at that at least with this decade old system this game was playable, so what gives ? shouldn't this new ryzen 3 be faster?

Q:any ideas because I am stumped

3.should I run the internal Vega8 graphics or plug the Nvidia 560 card from the old system in? they are both kind of weak but I thought maybe it shouldn't make a difference in simple games like that?

Solution
You are using a single DIMM and the integrated graphics. Your performance will be very poor. You should have picked two 4GB DIMMs.
Be sure you have updated your BIOS to get maximum memory compatibility. Rather than manually setting the speed use the DOCP option in your BIOS.

kanewolf

Titan
You are using a single DIMM and the integrated graphics. Your performance will be very poor. You should have picked two 4GB DIMMs.
Be sure you have updated your BIOS to get maximum memory compatibility. Rather than manually setting the speed use the DOCP option in your BIOS.

Reactions: theateam794
Solution
1. Update to the latest BIOS first. It may clear up memory issues. The MSI support server is down for me. So, I can't check the QVL. I assume you are using the XMP profiles. If it doesn't work after BIOS update. I'd consider returning it and getting something on the QVL. Crucial memory will most likely work at full speed though.

2. Couldn't say could be a driver issue. Was she using Linux before. If not put her back on Windows. It's not about what you like but what she's used to. Perhaps create an Ubuntu install USB. Just to boot off of and see if things run right in Ubuntu.

3. The GTX 560 may in fact be faster than the iGPU. At any rate it won't eat up RAM like the iGPU will.

Reactions: theateam794

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
kanewolf I read that the performance between 1 or 2 sticks should be negliable but I don't think that was taking into consideration running integrated graphics! but since I was doing this out of pocket I figured I would just get a single 8gb so a future 16 gb upgrade was possible.

update!

I wonder if it was the driver issue on linux (I was assuming the AMD drivers came with ubuntu like the nvidia ones?) either way I hooked up and the nvidia 560 gtx (was supposed to be 50% faster than the integrated vega8) issues 2 and 3 are now none issues!

so issue 1 was the only real problem at the moment, I will update the bios at some point , if the memory still won't run at full speed I will consider RMA and getting crucial, though I wonder will it be a noticeable performance hit running at 2400?

anyway consider this one solved, thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
kanewolf I read that the performance between 1 or 2 sticks should be negliable but I don't think that was taking into consideration running integrated graphics! but since I was doing this out of pocket I figured I would just get a single 8gb so a future 16 gb upgrade was possible.
Mix and match RAM is always a gamble. Buying a single DIMM now does not guarantee you will be able to upgrade in the future. The most efficient way to buy RAM is to buy matched sets of RAM. You may end up buying two new DIMMs anyway.
Performance difference between 1 and 2 DIMMs is significant. You cut the memory bandwidth in half. That hurts performance everywhere.