New System.. Need Urgent Opinions!!!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok so im now finally upgrading my current system. Nothing too overkill, but enough to get me by for a while.

Here are the Specs:

P4 1.7Ghz, 1G DDR333 Kingston Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro or 9700 pro (depending on prices), Gigabyte Ga-8SG800, Gigabyte Ga-8SG667 or ASUS P4S8X.

I currently own the 1.7G Chip, but am buying the new mobo, Graphics card and Ram this weekend. I dont have much money to spend ($1000 AUS, $500 US), and i was wondering if everyone would help me buy my new baby. Oh, im also buying a new case for all this to fit into.

ALso, should i wait till the new graphics cards are released? Will this make the current ones drop in price??

Thankyou.

P.S. If anyone has ahd any problems with these components, PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ tell me!

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well not looking bad. May I suggest that 1 gig of ram is very much overkill. I would say get only 512 of ram... it's more than you will ever need. As for graphics cards 9700 pro is the way to go ... Your right though, if you can hold out for a while and wait until the 9800 pro is in stores the 9700 will drop in price... If I were you I would wait.

I don't know much on those specific mobos but I have not heard good things about the P4S8X... but you should do some more reading on that. Remember, if you are gonna go duall DDR you need to make sure you buy two ram modules of the same size else it will not work...

Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions...

PS... FOR GOD SAKE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD PS!

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok ok. So you htink the ram's a little overkill? Well, would it be a wiser decision to get 512mb DDR400 RAM instead of 1g DDR333 RAM?

ALso, can anyone give me opinions on mobo's, remembering in only have US$100 to spend on one.

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Oh... one more thing. How do i find out how mans watts my PSU has? I looked on the back and it says 240V.... It currently runs my P4 with no probs whatsoever... Will the new ram/mobo/GPU make a huge difference? ALso, i currenly have about 5 exp. cards plugged in the back of my computer.. E.g. Video card, modem, network card, TV Tuner, Sound Card.... What would be a good case to fit all these in... ($Us 50-75)

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Definitely go for 512 400 ram over the 1 gig 333... there is no doubt there. As for the board, you can do quite a bit with 100 $US. I think first you need to decide what kind of features your looking for. If your getting the 9700 pro then you'll want 8x agp... but what else. Do you need raid? SATA? Firewire? etc... in other words .. do you want a high end board with all the bells and whistles... or just something plain with the standard stuff on it, but fast!

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok. I want a board with AGP8x, fast speeds, P4 support... Nothing too fancy (e.g. RAID) as i only have 2 hdd. What is raid btw? I just want a board thats going to last me a while... And i dont plan on overclocking... Had a bad experience with THAT before..

And crashman, what do you mean ditch the willy????

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Well I assume you are in Australia. So you don't have ask for the price in USD$ because parts sold in USA is far more cheaper than in Australia (even considering the best exchange rate). Anyway, the mobo you should go for is Gigabyte 8INXP, though is more expensive than P4S8X but it worths the money. Get 2 sticks of 256MB Kingston PC2100 and a nice 350W PSU, or 450W for generic. Your 240W may give you some trouble.

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
he meant Willamette it has half the cache of the current Northwood P4's (256KB vs 512KB) and a FSB of 100MHz compared to the current 133MHz. There is a substantial difference in performance. The 2.4 GHz 533MHz FSB (133 x 4) is the best Intel bang for the buck at the moment.

Also the DDR400 may not be worth it depending on the prices you guys have down there. A good stick of DDR333 @ CAS 2-2-2-6 or 2-2-2-5 may be a better choice.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>