new system.. new modem UGH!

Kaladon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i just got my amd 1.2ghz (c-version) system. and i was concerned over the fact my 56k modem runs at 28.8 now? my old modem ran between 49 and 52 k. Tranfer rates were at 4.9-5.4, now olny 1.8-2.34. please help
this new modem is a pci modem... one of its little programs with it, is called a "ham controller?" (something like that) it gives the option to share irqs with another device... i tried taking this off and it wont allow me to dial.

can anyone help me out... i dont really want to rake out alot of money per month for dsl, when i really dont think i need it right now.
if you have any possible ideas on fixes or for increased transfer and connection speeds let me know. thank you

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Check for updated drivers from the manufacturer. yeah yeah, I know, it's a brand new pc and all the drivers should be new as well but that is not always the case.

Also check modemhelp.org for any init strings that may increase connection rate and stability.

One other thing, if it is a winmodem, system resources could be bogging it down, what are your free system resources at after you connect?

Also, what O/S? if you say WinME, system resources could be the culprit.