New system not recognizing any HDDs, may have fried them

Status
Not open for further replies.

1gunners4

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme3 (SATA 3 GBs)
PSU: RaidMax RX-630SS

I have a windows7 500GB SATA1 HDD, an Ubuntu 500GB SATA1 HDD, and a blank 160GB SATA HDD. Tried all of them, none of them are being recognized on the UEFI on startup and none of them are even spinning up, even when I unplug all peripherals.

Moreover, none of them work on my old system anymore.

I backed up the two that have anything on them so it's just aggravating that I've lost two admittedly old HDDs, though I didn't lose anything. I can't even feel the bottoms heat up when plugged in. I'd heard bad things about RaidMax PSUs but my buddy swears by this one and it came up with really good reviews, but right now I'd probably guess that it's responsible for it. Even without a data cable, the HDDs should probably spin up if their is power going into them.

Anyone have a guess other then "Destroyed your HDD, buy a new HDD and return the PSU piece of crap?"

Solution
Maybe your PSU and Motherboard combo ate your HDD's.

Hate to tell you, but that is a horrible Power supply and motherboard combo.

I've read so many problems about the Asrock motherboards (lately). Anywhere from too thin of a motherboard (with some edges being thinner than the other edges, and flexing too much), to the BIOS acting very strange (detecting a HDD one boot, and on reboot doesn't detect it).
1) the PSU is apparently putting out. Goto the health page, BIOS, and look at voltages.
2) that would still not show the +12V/+5V on the sata data cables.

3) go to walmart and invest in a cheap Digital voltmeter (I bought one there two days ago for < $15 to throw in the car). Cheap and VERY handy, not for just computers. Google "How to use a voltmeter" - You will find just how easy they are to use.
To measure the +5 and +12 V.
Insert black meter lead into one of the two center pins On a molex connector (Blk wires).
For +5 V, insert read lead into red wire pin on molex 4.75 -> 5.25 V
For +12 V, insert red meter lead into other end of molex (orange or yellow wire) 11.4 ->12.6 V Note I use 11.6V for a min value.

Maybe your PSU and Motherboard combo ate your HDD's.

Hate to tell you, but that is a horrible Power supply and motherboard combo.

I've read so many problems about the Asrock motherboards (lately). Anywhere from too thin of a motherboard (with some edges being thinner than the other edges, and flexing too much), to the BIOS acting very strange (detecting a HDD one boot, and on reboot doesn't detect it).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.