[SOLVED] New system not recognizing boot drives and giving errors

Apr 6, 2022
I just purchased parts and built a new computer and when I try and boot it, it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", I tried going into bios and changing the priority so that it would, but it gives the same message, I also tried using a USB to boot it with windows media installation to install windows, however it gives the same error. I know that my drives are installed correctly however my m.2 nvme does not show up in boot priority (I assume this is because it's not setup and I can't get into windows to set it up) if you know anything please let me know, thanks

Solution
By "USB drive" do you mean an external USB drive or a USB flash drive?

Try disconnecting ALL drives including removing the M.2 drive, insert the USB flash drive with the Windows installer on it (Be sure to use the Windows media creation tool on the MS website to create the installation media) and then go into the BIOS and see if the USB flash drive is showing as a boot device. If it is, make sure it is selected as the primary boot device OR select the option on the Exit page to choose that drive as a one time boot device and see if it will start the windows installer.

NVME drives often do NOT show up until Windows is installed on them. Also, you can also try installing to the NVME drive without removing it, but make sure there are NO...

Try disconnecting ALL drives including removing the M.2 drive, insert the USB flash drive with the Windows installer on it (Be sure to use the Windows media creation tool on the MS website to create the installation media) and then go into the BIOS and see if the USB flash drive is showing as a boot device. If it is, make sure it is selected as the primary boot device OR select the option on the Exit page to choose that drive as a one time boot device and see if it will start the windows installer.

NVME drives often do NOT show up until Windows is installed on them. Also, you can also try installing to the NVME drive without removing it, but make sure there are NO other drives attached to the motherboard. There should ONLY be the NVME M.2 drive and the USB flash drive with the windows installer on it.

Also, make sure all full UEFI options are enabled in the BIOS.

What are your FULL hardware specifications including all model numbers?

Reactions: fireblitzer327
Solution
Apr 6, 2022

NVME drives often do NOT show up until Windows is installed on them. Also, you can also try installing to the NVME drive without removing it, but make sure there are NO other drives attached to the motherboard. There should ONLY be the NVME M.2 drive and the USB flash drive with the windows installer on it.

Also, make sure all full UEFI options are enabled in the BIOS.

What are your FULL hardware specifications including all model numbers?
I tried your first solution by unplugging all drives and switching all boot things to uefi but when I click save and exit it just goes right back into bios again, the only thing on the flash drive is the windows media installer

Apr 6, 2022
The problem was I didn't fully install the windows media creation tool so when I was in the BIOS, it wasn't showing as an available drive with windows to boot on. Essentially I just tried to rush a process that I should have just taken my time with, but isn't that the joy of pc troubleshooting?