New System not registering Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclayart

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hey there!

I just built my lady a new PC with everything brand new ordered from Newegg (see complete list of system parts below).

Everything is working fine except the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 isn't being recognized by the system, instead the motherboard is using the on-board video. I'm wondering if maybe the video card is DOA, although the FAN runs... basically I'm trying to make sure and rule out whether the Video Card is bad, or maybe its the MOBO that has a defective PCIEX16 slot...

Here's what I've tried:

-Flashed the BIOS with the most up to date software

-Went through all the BIOS settings to make sure everything was configured properly

-Re-Seated RAM, Video Card

-Tried Multiple different connections from the Power Supple to the Video Card

The weirdest thing is that the system boots up into Windows7 (the MOBO defaults to the on-board Video if no PCI Express card is recognized) and when I check the Device Manager there is not even an "Unknown Hardware" entry for the Video Card. Nothing, like its not even plugged in even though the fan is running on it.

SYSTEM PARTS:

COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ViewSonic VA2231w - LED Black 22" 1920x1080 5ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 100283-3L Video Card

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W Power Supply compatible with core i7

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Josh

Solution

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Sorry in advance for these series of questions, but is the actual DVI/VGA cable connected to the card or the motherboard?

If it is connected to the card, it has detected the card and its running graphics off the card. Install the most up to date drivers and your done.

If it isn't, and its connected to the motherboard when it works, its getting graphics not from the board itself, but from the CPU. I know you said you've checked all the BIOS settings, but is the video card part set to PCI Express?

Also, in device manager, be sure to have "show hidden devices" on. Your yellow question marks may show up then. I think Windows 7 defaults it to be off.

Now, for the real answers if the above didn't work. If you have some sort of PCI Express graphics card anywhere in your home, try it on this new build. If that works, your card is DOA. If it doesn't, the PCI Express slot is DOA. Just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean the card isn't still defective. All the fans spinning shows is that your power supply is providing power to the graphics card. BUT, check to see if the fan speed slows down after booting. If it doesn't more the reason to suspect the PCI Express slot.

jclayart

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for the Speedy response!

When it is working it is when the VGA cable is hooked up to the Motherboard. When I hook it up to the Video Card the screen just stays blank.

I did indeed check through all the BIOS settings and have the appropriate setting selected (I double and triple checked these with google searches).

I'm thinking that maybe it is the motherboard... seems like the on-board audio isn't working properly either. It keeps coming up as "No audio output device is installed" after I installed the proper drivers from both the enclosed CD and also the most up to date drivers from the gigabyte website.

I think I have a PCI Express card lying around, but not PCI Express 2.0, will that still work you think?

thanks again!

-Josh

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

It shouldn't matter what version. Its backwards compatible. Your definite answer will come from testing that. Best of luck!

Solution
1. Clear CMOS**.
2. Enter BIOS setup, Load Defaults. Then navigate to Integrated peripherals and choose "PCI Graphics" or equivalent.
-- When you do this, please report what you did - don't tell us its configured correctly, tell us which option you modified to what setting please.
3. Save, exit, and go right back into BIOS setup.
4. Power down while in BIOS setup.
5. Put the video cable on the vid card.
6. Power up and boot into windows. You should see BIOS (either wallpaper screen or details) and it should boot into windows.
7. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your vid card.

** Power down, pull plug from wall, remove battery from mobo, press the case power on button several times to drain capacitors, wait 5 minutes, replace battery, plug into wall, power up, and enter BIOS setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.