Question New system on old Storage

May 26, 2022
Hello,

I am building a new system and plan to use my NVME drive that was previously just a storage drive on my old PC as the boot drive for my new PC. I have already taken all of the files out of it, but I don't know what steps I need to take before I can put it into my new computer as I am building it and then use it as a boot drive. Can I get some tips on what I need to do?

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I am building a new system and plan to use my NVME drive that was previously just a storage drive on my old PC as the boot drive for my new PC. I have already taken all of the files out of it, but I don't know what steps I need to take before I can put it into my new computer as I am building it and then use it as a boot drive. Can I get some tips on what I need to do?

Thanks
You will just need to do a clean OS install on the NVMe drive. Make sure it is the ONLY disk drive connected to the system when you do the clean install.
Here is the sticky -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html (Windows 11 should be similar).

Do I have to worry about disk partitions at all?
Not really, but if you want to you can delete all existing partitions so that windows can create everything it wants to, if you leave the nvme as it is, presumably with one big partition, then windows will put everything onto this partition instead of having a separate boot partition, which isn't really bad though.

ASK THE COMMUNITY