darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The parts are in and I'm building a new i7 system this weekend. Can you point me to an article that walks one through the first time power up procedure for a new system? In particular, I'm wondering about the BIOS settings and memory timings/voltages/etc.

The new system consists of:

i7 920 D0 Stepping CPU
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB
Xigmatek Dark Knight HSF
12 GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3 (I work with HD video and CS4)
EVGA GTX 275 Video Card
Corsair 750TX PSU
CM HAF 932 case
WD 640 Black Boot Drive
2 x WD Black 640 RAID 0
2 Optical drives (from previous machine)
Internal card reader

Will start out at stock speed and OC when I know the hardware works OK for a while.
Thanks.

1. Build it.
2. Power it up, get into BIOS, set the options you need (Dates, Raid, other modes/ports as required, don't touch any voltages or timings. Set your DVD drive to be first in the Boot sequence list.
3. Have your floppy disk ready for your Raid drivers. Just kidding, but make sure you know how you will get those drivers in during th next step.
4. Put the OS disk in, save BIOS from step 2, and exit BIOS. OS will begin to format and install - it will ask you for the Raid drivers before proceeding far.

That's pretty much it. Your BIOS will explain some of the options available, so will your manual. Google an OC review for your mobo, it may talk about BIOS options.

Once the OS is in, other mobo drivers are in (CD), get your Internet connection setup, virus protection set up if your are the nervous type, get your vid drivers from the mfg web site, update Windows, get your temp and other utilities, run your diagnostics (memtest, Prime95). Run the torture test while you spend time on your old PC reading and learning what you need to know to OC.

Sleep well, wake up and check if PC is still running or is a molten mass of metal on your desk (kidding). Then begin to do whatever you want.

That's the problem/error-free sequence.

darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I'm building the machine right now. Will probably power it up tomorrow. Here's hoping for no masses of molten metal! It would make a real mess. :)