Question New system powers on, but no video or POST

Dec 12, 2020
I am trying to get a new system ready for my son for Christmas and running into an issue I am unsure of what to check.

I have everything connected and it does power up. Motherboard LEDS, fan, AIO cooling block etc all have power, but I get no video and can't even get to BIOS.

The motherboard is brand new, an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC. It shows to support 9th Gen CPUS. The CPU is an I9-9900K and is new, but I tested in another system and it works fine. I put the power supply, a Silver Stone 850W on a tester and it checks out solid.

I have seem some posts recently where that maybe the motherboard may need a BIOS update before the I9 would work, requiring using an 8th Gen cpu to do so. If this is the case, would this be the symptom? Powering up, no error beeps, but no just running silent not doing anything?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2020
Sorry, I should have added that I do have the 8 pin CPU power cable plugged into the cpu power on the mobo. The memory has been tested to work in another system. I have tried using a PCIe video card, as well as the onboard video.

4freedomssake

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
I started with an 8th gen i3 on my MSI board. A bios update was needed with the upgrade of the 9th gen i5, but it had no video issues. But the spec sheet for your board states it already allows 9th gen CPUs. I'd wait for some more feedback before doing a bios flash.

Reactions: craymer41
Feb 7, 2021

And in addition to this - what solved my "no display" issue was completely unexpected and I nearly skipped the related step. Essentially, for me, the graphics card was fully clicked into place and screwed into the appropriate slot in the case. HOWEVER, the thumbscrews I used were about 1mm longer than the other thumbscrews along the case panel. I have no idea why or where these slightly longer thumbscrews came from but what this resulted in was the display point not fitting in the graphics card 100% flush. To be clear on this, the display port did fit into the graphics card originally and the connection wasn't lose / there was no obvious issue with this connection but it must have been connecting at a minuscule angle which was enough for the "No display" on my monitor. After using the shorter thumbscrews, it powered up properly and I'm now ready to install the software :)