[SOLVED] New system RAM is running at quarter it's rated speed.

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
Hi all,

Just built a new Ryzen 5800x system this week on an Asus ROG Strix x570-F Gaming motherboard and also purchased 4x8GB Patriot 4000Mhz RAM (PVB416G400C9K) to go with it. I am aware that Clock speed is halved when viewing so have taken than into account but CPU-Z is reporting the ram running at 1064.5Mhz and the BIOS shows 2166Mhz when left on Auto and after I ran the tuning and going through all settings I could find.

FCLK is a new one on me but based on what I've read I set it to half the DRAM frequency, these are the 3 settings I manually changed to try to get my RAM up to full (or at least better speed):

FCLK - 2000Mhz
DRAM - 4000Mhz
Voltage - 1.35V (as stated on the RAM label)

This caused my system to fail to boot and the BIOS enters safe mode to recover, I then stepped down to 1900 and 3800 and will try some more settings now.

Are there any settings I need to change/play with in addition? Am I correct to keep stepping it down and testing until it boots? Is the ratio on those numbers correct? Any help or guidance you can offer?

I think this was working ok yesterday (on Auto) and I only noticed after getting considerably poorer scores in Time Spy Extreme. The system has been stable all day while I was working, BIOS is updated to the latest available. Running the 'tuner' changed my CPU multiplier from 38 to 40. This seems to be working fine also.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
Yeah I realized my mistake after I purchased 2 kits. I'm not sure why I did that. The system seems stable but I've lost 450 points on my CPU score for Time Spy Extreme after the motherboard 'tuned' itself and increased the multiplier, which hasn't recovered much since mostly fixing the RAM issue. So next I'm going to run through every single BIOS setting again, see if there's anything lurking in there. Might even try a full reset and see what happens.

I also don't see why Auto settings put it at such a low speed to begin with?

Oh that's 2 kits? That's even worst than just 1 kit. Mixing kits is not a good idea.

The auto settings doesn't work. You set it at auto and you restart it fails to apply the OC and it goes back to...

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
I managed to get it to boot with FCLK 1866 and DRAM 3733 but that's still a decent step away from my potential. I guess my next step is testing 2 or even 1 stick at a time but that can be a weekend job. I realize latency is an factor too and I was planning on tuning to find the best performance anyway but it should boot at those frequencies if I am not mistaken.

Assuming this is a hardware fault then do I also need to consider the CPU being the problem due to the IF playing a role?

4 stick of RAM is harder to get the advertised speed because of the stress on the memory controller.

Infinity Fabric ratio is 1:1 at 3600MHz. You should leave that RAM at 3600MHz or set the timings etc manually to try and get 4000MHz but it won't give you much of an increase and will screw up the ratio.

It would have been easier to get 4000MHz on a 2x16GB RAM Kit.

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
Yeah I realized my mistake after I purchased 2 kits. I'm not sure why I did that. The system seems stable but I've lost 450 points on my CPU score for Time Spy Extreme after the motherboard 'tuned' itself and increased the multiplier, which hasn't recovered much since mostly fixing the RAM issue. So next I'm going to run through every single BIOS setting again, see if there's anything lurking in there. Might even try a full reset and see what happens.

Oh that's 2 kits? That's even worst than just 1 kit. Mixing kits is not a good idea.

The auto settings doesn't work. You set it at auto and you restart it fails to apply the OC and it goes back to default RAM speed of 2133MHz.

If both kits works at 3600MHz leave it at that and consider yourself lucky that both kits even works together.

3600MHz is the sweet spot for Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPU's. Anything over that is just diminishing returns and give you issues.

Solution

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
I guess I just did what I did before on auto-pilot. My previous system (the i7 in my sig) I got 2 kits of 2x8gb ram and everything was fine, matched models numbers but got second pair several months after the initial build. They overclocked just fine. You live and learn. Thanks for your help!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Run it again @ 4000 but up the memory voltage to 1.4 from 1.35 and see if it's stable.

Reactions: Nemesia

Noki0100

Reputable
Feb 28, 2019
I'll have a go at the weekend. Been playing with some settings and checking performance/stability. Very pleased with the machine as it stands and it feels like I have room for more if I want to get more creative.

My Time Spy Extreme Score is above average at 3870ish right now, with the best (with another 5800x / 2060 pairing) currently 4154 I can't really complain after only 1 night of tinkering :p

Thanks for your help, have a nice easter break.