Question new system restarting unexpectedly

Jul 10, 2020
Hi There, I hope this is the right section to post in as I haven't quite narrowed down what the problem is yet. I recently put together this mostly new system and have 4 times now experienced a sudden system restart while playing Final Fantasy XIV. First here are my system specs:

mb - Gigabyte z390 m gaming
cpu - Intel i7-9700k
cpu cooler - Corsair H100i RGB Pro
ram - Corsair vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 (4x8gb)
gpu - EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER XC
psu - Corsair CS750M
os - win 10 pro v2004
storage - Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME (2x), Crucial 1tb 2.5" SSD (1x), SanDisk 240gb 2.5" SSD (1x), Samsung 1tb HD103SJ (1x)
displays - Dell U3011 (2x displayport)

To describe the restart more specifically - each time, I had been playing the game for 40-50 minutes with no trouble. in two cases the restart occurred right as my player was teleporting to a different zone. In another case I was leaving an instance (similar). There is no warning, no audio problems, the screens go black and the system immediately reboots. I'm back to login screen and desktop in seconds and there are no errors.

I have done some reasearch and troubleshooting but most of the similar issues are very old or are only partially relevant. My first guess was overheat. I have an ongoing issue with my cooler where only 1 of the 2 PWM fans for the radiator will work with the splitter. I have a support ticket open but while I wait, the temps have been okay even with the one fan. I was monitoring my system temperatures with iCUE while playing, and found that the cooler temperature stays around 35c, the core temps range from 40-50c, and the gpu temp was around 79c. The Ram temps were around 55-60c.

Next I thought it was a memory issue (loading/unloading assets for different zones in the game?) so I ran memory diagnostic utility and found no problems. I also re-seated the modules. Some or all of the RAM RGB goes out after system restarts, and won't return until I do a complete shut down and boot, while all other RGB (cpu, gpu, rgb strip connected to mb) remain on. I also re-installed the game. Yesterday I was able to play for a few hours without any problems. Today I played for around 45 minuges again and the system restarted while I was in an IGC (seems different from the others).

The next suspect is the power supply, which is a few years old now. Based on several calculators and the information I've gathered, the capacity should be fine, but I am worried about the age and other contributing factors (like the outlets in my home, the power strips etc.). I think the power supply has always been pretty noisy, and it seems more so since the new build, seemingly with relation to load and other random factors, so that's worrying me a bit. Today after the latest restart I moved my PC to a different power strip by itself on a different outlet, but i've also read that people have replaced their PSUs, changed outlets, replaced power strips/surge protectors/battery backups and had the noise persist. I'm not saying the noise and the restart are related, the noise just makes me think I should probably upgrade the PSU either way.

The final suspect is the GPU. I've seen people having similar issues in this game and boiled it down to Nvidia problems with no clear solution, however the threads I've seen are pretty old. A friend recommended downclocking my GPU (is this also ultimately power related?), based on similar experiences with other random games, but I haven't tried that yet. I just installed EVGA Precision X1 so it's next on my list. I have Geforce experience and the latest drivers installed.

I haven't done any stress testing or played many other games because I'm trying to be conservative while I wait to hear from customer support about the cooler. I played GTA 5 for about an hour and had no problems and temps were about the same. Also played Escape from Tarkov for like 20 minutes with no problems, temps about the same. I thought Final Fantasy XIV would be relatively safe but maybe not.

If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks for taking a look and stay safe out there!

edit1 - I think i'm going to look at getting a new power supply and a UPS. Was looking at the Corsair RM 750 and the APC 850VA, but would appreciate recommendations.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
Couple updates - I went ahead and ordered an EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3, and an APC 1000VA UPS just to be safe. Have had power go out occasionally in this house. I think this can't hurt but I'm not actually super sure it will address the problem.

Still experiencing the reset as of today. Someone recommended I monitor voltage on the 12V so I was taking a look at that. I didn't see it go under 11.88 while playing but then the system reset right as my character transitioned from one zone to an adjacent zone. That's 4/5 now where it seems to occur right as a potential increase in load could be affecting multiple components across the system.

I think I'm going to try the GPU downclock now and see how that goes.

Jul 10, 2020
I tried disconnecting the front reset switch and it did seem promising for a while, but unfortunately the system did still reset suddenly while I was changing zones just now. Back to testing gpu downclock 🤔

Jul 10, 2020
Another restart today while the GPU was downlocked -100mhz. This time the restart occurred right as I clicked on the task bar to switch focus from FFXIV to Discord, so that's new. New PSU should be here this week so I think I'm just going to avoid stressing the system until I can get it installed.

-edit
I was actually recording data from HWinfo so i'm looking through that now. I have like 1 or 2 hours of data. Not really sure what to look for though. I have it in a google sheet so maybe I could post it here?

I looked through all the data towards the end of the log and didn't see anything immediately concerning wrt usage, temps, voltage, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
I don't know why I didn't look sooner but I was able to find something in the event viewer on the restart, it's the Event ID 41, Task Category 63, Kernel-Power Critical event, which is giving me some more troubleshooting techniques to look at. I've set my Processor Max Power to 80% in Power Settings based on an article about this event, so I will try playing for a while with that configuration.

Otherwise, i'm still planning on trying to wait until the new PSU gets here because I don't want to cause any component damage from frequent restarts.