[SOLVED] new system restarts on stress

kezzo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Hello, i setup a system 1 month ago ( ryzen 5 2600 stock cooler, msi b450 gaming plus, 16 gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb and a 7 years old 650watt oem psu)

normal use its very stable
i played mortal kombat 11, resident evil 7 and re 2 remake very stable too
when i played gears 5 on ultra my system restarting often, then i lowered settings ultra to high, it works good and no restarts even if i play long hours non-stop

-my temperatures seems to be normal
-checked memory tests and replaced both rams
-updated drivers

then i suspected psu, i think its not enough to satisfy the system stressing games
so what do you think? what could cause this? it seems i solved the problem with changing graphic setup but this is not a permanent solution

Solution
The GPU will often need/draw up to 60-70 watts thru the PCI-e slot, and, the remainder thru the 6 pin PCI-e power from the PSU. The GPU could be using more power than the mainboard can supply, or, as you speculated, certainly the PSU could be weak and not supplying the power/current fast enough, allowing brownouts under load...

Try the PSU first, of course. (do NOT reuse any modular cables from original PSU with whatever PSU you put in there to test, as 95% of the time, they are NOT interchangeable...!)
The GPU will often need/draw up to 60-70 watts thru the PCI-e slot, and, the remainder thru the 6 pin PCI-e power from the PSU. The GPU could be using more power than the mainboard can supply, or, as you speculated, certainly the PSU could be weak and not supplying the power/current fast enough, allowing brownouts under load...

Try the PSU first, of course. (do NOT reuse any modular cables from original PSU with whatever PSU you put in there to test, as 95% of the time, they are NOT interchangeable...!)

Reactions: kezzo
Solution

kezzo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
No blue screens. Just restart

I m using headset and when it restarts i hear a hard click noise

I played metro exoddus without any restart on this psu but graphics card was a gtx 1050 which doesnt need 6 pin power. Is that making any sense?