[SOLVED] New system running poorly

Mar 26, 2020
I just recently upgraded a computer I built, its pretty decent but every game that isn't on low or medium graphics crashes or has hard artifacting. It should be able to handle most games on ultra or at least high, I can run some games fine with underclocking my GPU with MSI afterburner. can anyone point me in a good direction to start looking? all parts are under a month old and bought from reputable retailers.
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu: GTX 2060 Ultra
Motherboard: Asus X570
2 8g speed ram
EVGA SuperNova g+ gold 850 watt power supply
1tb hd
250g ssd
cooler master heat sync
1440p and 1080p dual monitor

Last edited:
Solution
That you have to do those thing for any kind of stability tells me it's either the gpu or the psu.

A graphics card is easily the most stressful device for a power supply to deal with in a PC.
The above methods you've done reduce the load on the gpu, making it draw less power, and also running cooler.
Remove those limits, and load goes up, as well as power consumed and thermals.

The gpu temps you see are actually an AVERAGE of 3 areas: core, VRM, and memory. Why Nvidia did it that way, I have no idea...
Say for example, one area is running hot, and the other 2 by some chance aren't, how would you know? 🤷‍♂️

I know that artifacts are a thing with overheating memory or bad drivers...
Please try running DDU and install the previous...
Mar 26, 2020
Base system clocks for tests and for future help.
EVGA Supernova G+ 850 watt gold efficiency rating.
No change in status with either monters solo.
Temps in game:
GPU: 48c
CPU: 45c

Idle:
Gpu: 40c
Cpu: 37c

Im not too familiar with thermal throttling. but I'm using CPUID HWMonitor to look at temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, nothing out of the ordinary there. The psu really shouldn't have any issues with a 2060...
The games that crash can run with the 2060 underclocked... What's the model of the gpu?

At the moment, I'm suspecting the gpu itself.
Oh! Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old gpu drivers and then install the new ones?

Mar 26, 2020
The gpu is a EVGA 2060 ultra, I got it from best buy, and already returned one because it also was acting up. I didn't really think it could be a faulty one again but i do have a warrenty to exchange it. The card i had before was a evga Gtx 970 and I don't think I have ever uninstalled those drivers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Of course, that also looks fine, except you don't have A-XMP enabled for the ram. That's done in bios.

It doesn't appear to be overheating - the power supply is also good.
It does work if underclocked - not desirable, but still... something's off there.

The gpu is fully seated in the PCIE slot? The 8-pin cable as well?
Would be a heck of a coincidence to get 2 bad 2060s... or the power supply is a lemon - that happens sometimes too, even on good models.

Try the 2nd PCIE slot?

Mar 26, 2020
I can run some games on -85 on my clock on medium to low graphics without any problems. I have some games that will constantly crash or not start up unless the resultion is at 50% and graphics are on the lowest possible settings and I will still get artifacts on them. Some of these games include,
Ori and the blind forest,
Ori and the will of the wisps,
Assassins creeds Origins,
Dead By Daylight.

Games that will run fine with lowered settings is
Starcraft 2
League of Legends
Warcraft 3 Reforged

sorry for the puzzlers but I have no idea what could be causing these issues and I appriciate you takign the time to help me out.

But it does look like it is fully mounted in the PCIe slot and the 8 pin is secure, can't really try the 2en'd slot at the moment.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That you have to do those thing for any kind of stability tells me it's either the gpu or the psu.

A graphics card is easily the most stressful device for a power supply to deal with in a PC.
The above methods you've done reduce the load on the gpu, making it draw less power, and also running cooler.

The gpu temps you see are actually an AVERAGE of 3 areas: core, VRM, and memory. Why Nvidia did it that way, I have no idea...
Say for example, one area is running hot, and the other 2 by some chance aren't, how would you know? 🤷‍♂️

Please try running DDU and install the previous driver package.

Solution
Mar 26, 2020

Please try running DDU and install the previous driver package.
I went ahead on ran the ddu and reinstalled drivers. not much change there. I'm gonna try and do an exhange on my graphics card and maybe get something different and see if that helps.

TRENDING THREADS