New System: should I stick to my GTX970 or upgrade to 1070 or 1070ti now?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I just building a new gaming system based on the i7-8700k (just received it...yeah).

I am currently gaming everything in 1080HD, with the goal to play with >60fps at best possible graphics/optics.

I have now two options:

1. Stick with my old MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G which overclocks nicely and wait for the next GTX Generation (1170 or 2070?)
2. Buy now a GTX 1070 or 1070ti (hopefully with some black Friday or cyber monday deals)

Some time next year I would like start with VR and I have the feeling that the GTX 970 would be not ideal for that. I also might switch to 1440p display next year.

Should I sit it out and wait for the next generation? Even so it hurts to built a brand new awesome gaming rig and power it with a 3 year old card. But I have a feeling that my old GTX970 in combination with the i7-8700k will be plenty good enough for current 1080 gaming. Am I wrong?

Thanks guys!!!

Solution
The 970 isn't going to be ideal for VR, but is a very capable card.

Personally, I'd stick with the 970 for now - for 1080p 60Hz gaming, its's still a quality card.
If/When you decide to get into VR, take a look at the availability of cards at the time. Volta will launch next year, giving you further options.

FWIW, a 1070 or 1070TI isn't likely to see any discounts on BF/CM - those days are usually used to clear out older stock, not "new", in demand products.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 970 isn't going to be ideal for VR, but is a very capable card.

Personally, I'd stick with the 970 for now - for 1080p 60Hz gaming, its's still a quality card.
If/When you decide to get into VR, take a look at the availability of cards at the time. Volta will launch next year, giving you further options.

FWIW, a 1070 or 1070TI isn't likely to see any discounts on BF/CM - those days are usually used to clear out older stock, not "new", in demand products.

Solution

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
I'd say wait until closer to when you're going to do the VR. The next gen Geforce cards could show up by 2nd quarter next year, at which time you may be able to pick up a 1070 Ti for a better price. Or, the next gen could be that much better bang for you buck.

It'll also depend on which VR HMD you get. Vive is only 1200x1080 x2, so a 1070/Ti will run it beautifully. If you go with a Pimax 8K X, you'll need at least a 1080, or even the Ti to run it well.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

not entirely true: I just bought a Corsair RM650X for $69 (after discounts and mail in rebates).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

It's neither Black Friday, nor Cyber Monday? You've just found a random sale, which do exist - although much, much less so on "new" GPUs. .

FWIW, the RM650X is far from "new" (launched in early 2016 IIRC) and, while a pretty good price for that PSU specifically, equally-great quality PSUs are available around that pricepoint without discounts and MIR.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Pjzv6h/rosewill-power-supply-capstone650m
Or cheaper, with MIR.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mf3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12g750

Anyway, I was speaking more to new GPUs, CPUs, Motherboards and this year, RAM - admittedly, I wasn't too clear on that.